Hypothetical question - re: student loan/divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical question - re: student loan/divorce

If someone has a student loan in her name and the husband is a co-signor - they then get divorced - does the woman have to pay all that back herself or is the husband responsible for half?? Sorry, not bankruptcy related

OOPS, I forgot there is a student loan forum now - sorry, I don't know how to move it?

Originally posted by marcie26 View Post
    OOPS, I forgot there is a student loan forum now - sorry, I don't know how to move it?
    Thread relocated.....
    Bankruptcy History:
    Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
    Discharged - 02/16/2006
    Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by marcie26 View Post
        If someone has a student loan in her name and the husband is a co-signor - they then get divorced - does the woman have to pay all that back herself or is the husband responsible for half?? Sorry, not bankruptcy related
        If the husband co-signed on the student loan, then he agreed to be equally responsible for paying back the debt. If the ex-wife stops paying on the student loan, then the lender will turn to the husband to pay the remaining balance with continuing interest.

A possible exception might be if the student loan was given to the ex-wife 100% in the divorce settlement. If this is the case, then the husband is well-advised to work with his original or a new divorce attorney to see what can be done if the lender does come after him for payment.

Although you said bankruptcy was not involved, if bk does become involved in the future, divorce and bankruptcy often make a very uneasy mix. Legal help is typically needed to sort out who is responsible financially for what because the state and national laws do overlap and can sometimes create conflicts.
        Last edited by lrprn; 06-13-2008, 01:00 PM.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
          A possible exception might be if the student loan was given to the ex-wife 100% in the divorce settlement. If this is the case, then the husband is well-advised to work with his original or a new divorce attorney to see what can be done if the lender does come after him for payment.
          Actually, he would still be liable for the loan and they can come after him for it. They have a contract that says he will pay them and will go after him full force if they think they can get payment from him. It doesn't matter to the lender what the divorce decree says. The divorce decree is between the spouses and has no legal bearing on the original contract. He would have to sue her for anything he paid.

TS

Comment

Strictly speaking, the husband was never liable for half. As a co-signer, the husband acts as a guarantee to the lender if the wife defaults. Thus, as others have said, both husband and wife are 100% responsible or the debt. However, in the lenders eyes, the Wife is "primary" and the husband is secondary. The husband only becomes responsible for the debt if the wife stops paying.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X