Had 341 today, filed pro se, Illinois Northern District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had 341 today, filed pro se, Illinois Northern District

Well, I had my 341 today and I don't think it even lasted two minutes. The trustee asked me very few questions - was the signature on my petition my signature; did I fill out all the forms myself or did anyone help me; how I knew what to fill out (and he commented that I did a better job than many lawyers do); did anyone owe me money; was I expecting an inheritence in the next 6 months; and, did I own any real estate.

This entire process was much easier than I expected, and having done it pro se, it cost me less than $70. I got a fee waiver, and it would have cost me much less if I didn't have to go to a copy center to copy documents, if I hadn't mistakenly put my SSN on my schedule F and had to file a motion to redact, and if I had gotten fee waivers for the counseling courses. I actually did try for waivers for the counseling courses but they all wanted documentation that I could not provide, but I'm still really happy that I was able to do this in a way that was very low cost because otherwise I couldn't have done it.

I didn't find this forum until after I filed, but I did get a lot of help here regarding the motion to redact, and reading these boards kept me from freaking out throughout the process. I stayed pretty calm up until today, but I did get a bit freaked out when I was waiting at the courthouse today. This couple that went in a few people before me had a creditor show up and their meeting laster 45 minutes. I started worrying that one of my creditors, a medical bill for over 200k, would show up. Thankfully no creditors showed up, and at the end of the meeting, the trustee said that it was a no asset case into his recorder, so I guess now I just have the 60 day wait and I'll be discharged!

Congrats on a job well done!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Congratulations! Welcome and thank you for sharing your experience. My hat's off to you. I was a wreck long before we filed and I couldn't imagine trying to do this myself. Good job!
      Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
      Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Congratulations on your successful 341--and the nice compliment from the trustee!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks everybody! The trustees no-distribution report showed up on PACER today, so I guess now I just go though the debtor-counseling, wait the 6o days, and do some research on re-establishing credit.

Comment

Excellent job!
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks LITR! I actually enjoyed all the research I had to do for this so much that I am thinking of getting a parelegal certificate. I need a new career anyway since my job as an actuary was outsourced to India a few years ago. I've always liked law and almost went to law school, and I think I'd like being a paralegal, especially if I get to help people fle bankruptcy. I'd go to law school, but at 51 I'm getting a little old for that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X