Meeting with Lawyer tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting with Lawyer tomorrow

We are meeting with an attorney tomorrow. I am taking pay stubs from the last 6 months and our tax returns.

I know that the IRS standards states for medical expenses is $54 a month per person. So how does this work if my cost for medical treatments is around $80 a week. I have to do physical therapy 2 times a week for a knee injury. As of right now the therapist doesn't know how long I will be doing therapy. I am only starting week 3 of PT. Do I just show copies of my claim statement.

Your mileage may vary, but I believe you will have to show supporting evidence to claim a higher amount above the IRS standards. Receipts will come in handy!

Good luck! I am at about the same stage you are - just a little ahead of you. I have had my initial meeting and a second meeting, waiting to review and sign the petition now.

Comment

Yes, keep your receipts. Line 22 on the means test is specifically for medical expenses that exceed the allowance. My expenses exceeded the allowance and my attorney told me to be prepared to support it with documentation. The trustee never asked, but I was ready for her to ask.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you both. It shows on my bank statements where I pay at the time of the appointment. Also my claim from my insurance shows how much I have to pay. I have all of out past due bills/collections and our current bills we have all printed out. I also have my husbands paystubs and taxes. I am just trying to figure out how I show proof of my veteran's disability compensation I get. My original letter when I first started getting it is almost 10 years old and in a file box of old paperwork that I store away.

Comment

I would imagine that you could get a statement from the VA. It's okay if you don't have documenation when you meet with the attorney, as long as you can tell him how much the payments are. Your attorney will tell you what documenation will be required.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X