Chapter 13 and notice of federal taxes owed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 and notice of federal taxes owed

Not sure if I am posting this the correct way. Can anyone tell me what I need to do if I am already in a Chapter 13 and just received a certified letter from IRS stating owe fed tax from 2014 now. I cannot afford to pay the full amount so should I make a payment plan with IRS?

You need to send the notice to your attorney. Other than that, it's hard to tell you what will happen with this debt without more information. I have no experience with debt and BK, but those who do may be able to help if they know how long ago you file BK, whether your plan has been confirmed, whether the tax debt was listed on your petition and whether the IRS received notice of your BK.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I owed IRS debt for 2015. When I filed and realized that I owed, I submitted the paperwork for a payment plan. When I filed electronically, it uploaded successfully and I received a message that said something like "accepted". However, a couple weeks later I received a letter from the IRS disallowing the payment plan because I was in an active 13 plan. They wanted an immediate payment in full. I did not have the funds to pay it. I was in a panic because I was a few months from my completing my 60 month plan. I was terrified that owing the IRS would give the trustee a reason to not discharge my case. I contacted my attorney and they added it to my plan. I was advised by my attorney that the IRS never allows for a payment plan go those on an active 13. That being said, I take everything that my attorney says with a grain of salt. By adding my 2015 bill to the plan they were able to bill me yet again.

I am not in a 100% plan, but was advised that there was "room" in my plan to add in the amount that I owed. I just made my 60th payment last week and now am nervously awaiting a discharge.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X