top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to wait before buying a house after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to wait before buying a house after discharge?

My lawyer is NO HELP. Our chap 13 was discharged 8/28/19. We want to buy the house we've been renting since starting chap 13.(We surrendered our previous house entering chap 13) Is there anything that could come back at us if we bought the home we are in?

Has your case closed? If you are both discharged and closed, then you are back to where you were before filing. You can purchase any home for which you have the ability to purchase (mortgage, cash, etc).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I didn't realize there was a difference. I will check. thanks for the info.

Comment

The discharge is the prize and extinguishes all the dischargeable debt. However, the Trustee has to administratively close the case. The administration of the case is the part where they handle any paper work, check their math, and then file a final report. It is then, and only then, that the case is officially closed.

I'm guessing that your case should be closed by now. Without the case being closed, some lenders may tell you that you need to seek permission of the Trustee to purchase while in an "active" Chapter 13.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X