Anyone bought a house during Chapt 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been reading about the House Reform Bill Congress just passed. I lost my house to foreclosure after having a subprime mortgage 2 years ago. Then because of the foreclosure the 2nd trust lender came after me for the money so thats when I filed chapter 13 in November of 2008. Reading all about this Bill that congress has passed makes me a little hopeful that maybe some day I can buy a home again. Is there anyone out there who has been able to buy a home while in a chapter 13?? (I do realize that the trustee would have to approve anything like this first, but I just want to know if anyone has been able to find a lender--or know what the FHA guidelines are for buying a home after foreclosure and then during a chapter 13). By the way, I am in a 5 year plan and I am coming up on my first completed year this coming November 2008.
    Chapt. 13 Petition Filed 9/29/07
    Case Confirmed 12/10/07
    59 mos done 1 payment to go

FHA guidelines state 2 years after discharge of BK. Since there isn't a subprime market, it is highly unlikely to get qualified in CH. 13, unless your FICO score is around 720 and you have a 20% down payment. I have seen builders carry loans for a couple of years now, due to the inability to get customers qualified but those deals vary by builder.

Good Luck
    Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

I checked recently as well but I found your fico must be over 580 and trustee approval is needed but this was for a refi out of arm to fixed. I dont think you will be able to buy a home in bankruptcy
      in this economy. I think the goal is to keep current home owners funded and not
      foreclosed versus outright new risky loans if that make sense.... Now if you come in with
      a huge down then the bankruptcy court will say HMMMM you owe debt but your shopping for major new purchase? Plus I think alot is on hold till we see who the president will be then decisions will be made more concrete with respect to lending issues
      and credit guidelines... Just my 2 cents
      Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Comment

For FHA, you can purchase while still in your chapter 13 for at least 1 year and you have made every trustee payment on time, with no hiccups. And of course your credit has to improve.

In addition, with a previous foreclosure (and if that is noted on your credit report) FHA makes you wait at least 3 years from that event to apply for another mortgage.

So I would think that once you are discharged from your chapter 13, you could begin househunting, if you have improved your credit score.

So yes, you can own a home again.

Chapter 7 is 2 years after discharge, Chapter 13 is immediately after discharge (or in with trustee permission after 1 year) and significantly improved credit

3 years after any foreclosure for FHA

Conventional is not an option for many years
        Last edited by rrockinggramma; 08-19-2008, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Mortgage during Ch 13

If everything continues well, I will close on a house in late September with 19 months of ontime (early) payments in Ch. 13 and a FICO score of 660. I will have to get a 3% downpayment "gift" in this case from my daughter and the seller will pay the closing costs. The mortgage is with a national bank lender, FHA for 6.5% which looks like it's around average for this area. The mortgage person with who I am working said that 12 months minimum on time payments is the minimum months to be considered for FHA and if I had filed Ch. 7 there was no way that they could consider my loan application. The principal and interest will be less than $100 more than my rent. The lawyer who handled the BK is requesting permission from the Trustee to allow me to purchase.
          So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful news. I actually spoke with a mortgage lender this evening and she told me the same thing. 3 yrs from foreclosure and one year on time payments to the trustee. So, if I can get my credit score up over 580 by September of 2009 I will be blessed with a home of my very own again! Provided of course I get the trustee's approval. Did I mention to anyone that the reason I have the foreclosure and chapt 13 is because I got bamboozled by a subprime lender with an ARM 1st and 2nd mortgage Oct of 2006 just at the beginning of the bubble! It's been the worst nightmarish 2 years of my entire life!!! It has put a tremendous strain on my marriage of 20 yrs too. Could there be a light at the end of my dark tunnel after all? I will continue to pray!
            Chapt. 13 Petition Filed 9/29/07
            Case Confirmed 12/10/07
            59 mos done 1 payment to go

Comment

There is indeed a light and great luck to you going forward!

You can do it.

ep
              California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Does your credit score actually improve and go up "during" the chapter 13 plan? I posed this question to my Attorney and he simply said that it wont, it just lists "bankruptcy" on your credit report?

I was hoping it could still rise during the period!
                Filed 10/20/08
                Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X