What about braces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about braces?

My sons are paid off but my daughter is just about to start with hers and that will be a monthly payment. Is that something that will have to be added in or something we will continue to pay? I consider this a secured loan since her mouth depends on us paying but I dont know how that works? I am trying to think of everything we may encounter over the next 5 years.

Also, do they take ALL your money or are you left with some each month?

Hi Niki; I am not a ch13 person although we originally tried to go that route. Do you have an attorney? These questions should be addressed to him/her.

My next thought is that braces for your daughter are a HEALTH issue and should not be questioned by the trustee. After all, trustees are human beings too and have lives and know what type of issues like this come up.

Good luck to you.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

No atty yet, but I am going to start calling some this week. Im making a list of all my questions for them too, but this board has been a huge resource!

Comment

Ongoing costs for health-related things like braces can be included when filing Ch 13. You may need an official letter from your daughter's orthodontist in case your trustee questions the cost. Your lawyer (once you find him/her) will be able to advise you about how this is handled in your local court by its trustees.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I was still making payments on my son's braces when we filed our 13. It was no problem, and we were able to include that as an allowable expense, and continue to make our payment outside of the plan.
          You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

We put $250/month into a flexible health care account. It's mostly for braces and will go down once the orthodontist is paid off. No one batted an eye. Our attorney said we should be prepared to explain the amount, but again, no one asked anything.

We're not confirmed yet - have an adversary proceeding pending regarding some divorce debt my husband has with his ex. Still, I doubt the amount will get questioned. Oh, and we pay the ortho outside the plan.

Comment

Our Orthodontist gave us a payment estimate that was broken down by months. ie: $219 month 1 then $125 months 2 through 28.
              I took that to the lawyer and it is now included in our monthly budget plan. We were able to do it because the braces were already in the works when we filed. Our 3 year old needs surgery, but we have to wait until he is older than 4, we couldn't turn in a payment plan for it because it's too far ahead. We will have to amend the plan when the time comes. So, as much as you would like to "plan" for the next 5 years, you may not be able to plan for everything.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X