top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Approval" for credit while in repayment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Approval" for credit while in repayment?

I have read, and been told, that after filing you must get the approval of the court to enter into any credit agreement after you file. Can anyone supply more details on how this works? Does it apply to ALL credit, for example if I needed to buy a new stove during that time and I was able to find someone willing to extend credit at a reasonable rate, could I do it? If so what procedure would I need to follow?
    1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
    2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
    4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

You need trustee approval. Call your trustee's office or your attorney.

Comment

That's what I thought I had read. But it was an attorney who told me yesterday that it only applied to big ticket items like a house or a car. That it didnt apply to small items. Have you been through that process?
      1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
      2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
      4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

The "new credit" restrictions are varies by Trustee and District. Each Trustee and District has some unpublished rules, that are well known by BK attorneys who practice in that District.

Some Trustees allow up to $2-5K of new debt without permission. Some allow none at all. Then there are ones in the middle.

In any event, all major credit needs to be approved by the court. Generally, for a new car, it's usually pretty easy to get approval.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X