Credit counseling course req'd in a 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit counseling course req'd in a 13?

I've had my initial consult with the attorney's office & today paid them certified funds for my case. I now have an appoitment with the attorney on the 24th to bring in all the completed paperwork they gave me along with the other necessary docs, etc.
    Noone there has said anything about the debt counseling course I keep hearing about. Is that just applicable in a Chaper 7 & if not, when am I suppose to have that completed? According to the attorney's secretary, when I come in on the 24th, my case will probably be filed about 2-3 days later. I forgot to ask her about the CC course when I went in today to pay.

Ken

You will need to complete the credit counseling class BEFORE you file. Actually, there are two classes now, one is pre-petition and one is pre-discharge. Our attorney had us hold off on the pre-petition one until right before we filed because said that sometimes plans change and you don't file for a while, and the classes are only good for 6 months so had to have some clients take the class over again if they waited too long to file. If you are SURE you are going to file in the next 6 months, go ahead and start looking into the classes, you will have to take it before attorney can file for you.
    Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
    Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by hearr View Post
      I've had my initial consult with the attorney's office & today paid them certified funds for my case. I now have an appoitment with the attorney on the 24th to bring in all the completed paperwork they gave me along with the other necessary docs, etc.
      Noone there has said anything about the debt counseling course I keep hearing about. Is that just applicable in a Chaper 7 & if not, when am I suppose to have that completed? According to the attorney's secretary, when I come in on the 24th, my case will probably be filed about 2-3 days later. I forgot to ask her about the CC course when I went in today to pay.

Ken
      the first is done before filing your attorney should give a few recommendations on where to go the first is kind of a meeting really with a credit Counselor to look at your situation and point out any other remedy's to your situation, in my case they said nope bk is the only road for you then you get a certificate the attorney will file with the rest of your paper work then once you are confirmed you should get the credit class done so soon as you can it's not hard and best to have it done and filed as not to slow down your discharge at the end as a point of reference i used GreenPath Inc they were very nice to work with google them see if they operate in your area, good luck

Comment

Go to the List of Approved Credit Counseling Agencies and find the list for your state.

Look at several different companies if your lawyer doesn't have a preference. You'll find a wide variety of prices. Some are done all online. Some require a phone conference.

Unless it's included in your fees and your lawyer intends you to complete it when you return on the 24th, I would do it a few days before your meeting. It can take a few days for them to email the certificate. If you have it when you go back there shouldn't be anything else delaying your filing. The case can't be filed without that certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by hearr View Post

Ken

The wife and I did ours pre-petition course for our 13 this morning online. Tomorrow afternoon we hve to speak toa counselor of theirs for a few minutes, but it was mostly just trying to define our situation, the reasons behind it and the possible solutions.

Cost was $50.00.

PS. They won't take credit cards. just debit cards.

I thought i should just mention that in case.

Comment

We are filing Joint this week and plan taking the first course tomorrow.

Do we each have to take the class or can we pay one $50 and do it together?

Want to save time and save $50 for course. thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard07 View Post
              We are filing Joint this week and plan taking the first course tomorrow.

Do we each have to take the class or can we pay one $50 and do it together?

Want to save time and save $50 for course. thank you in advance.
              Here is the one we used - http://beadviser.com/

I believe pre and post BK courses can both be done. We paid $11 to do the joint course - certificate issued approx 20 minutes following completion. Its 12 questions, but you must do it in the course of 120 minutes (minimum). Meaning if you finish before 120 min. timeframe is up - it will not count.

Best thing to do is allow 10 mins per question before clicking to the next one. You may have to do some laundry, clean house, surf the internet to pass the time in between questions

Comment

Unless you live in Alabama or North Carolina, you can do the pre-filing class for free at http://www.consumerbankruptcycounseling.info/ But, you may not get the certificate quite as quickly as with other classes. If I remember correctly, they say usually within 24 hours, but they don't guarantee it.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Our lawyer provided us with a website to use on online to complete the course...it was around $20....

Filed July 09
                  Confirmation - June 2010
                  Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X