Moving to a new State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to a new State

Ok, so I've retained my BK lawyer in Illinois and I'm going to be paying the rest to file next week. My fiance and I have been contemplating moving to Georgia and this week we decided to finally make the move because we are both able to get better jobs and make more money. Now I'm confused on if I should continue to file in Illinois or try to fight the creditors off for another month or so and file when I get to Georgia. We are hoping to move in the next month or so, but I'm worried the creditors might try and sue me if I wait a little longer. Has anybody moved to a different state during their chapter 13?
    Filed Chapter 7 8/2006 Discharge 11/2006
    Filing Non Dischargable Chapter 13 August 2009
    *When this is done, I promise to never get in debt again cause this sucks :-(*

The rules on filing in your new State would preclude you from filing for 90 days after moving. This also affects which exemptions you are allowed to use.

Work with your lawyer. It may be better to file in Illinois, but you'd have to go back for your 341 Meeting. Otherwise, you'd have to wait the 90 days to file in Georgia, and deal with exemption issues.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X