Attorney Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney Meeting

Met with an attorney today that I liked. Here is the deal though, he is a sole practioner, but seemed to know his stuff pretty well and made me feel pretty comfortable.

So I guess my question is pretty simple, I was wondering what the collective opinion was regarding the larger firm versus a smaller firm? Which is "better," if there is such a thing.

Thanks
    Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Good question. I would like to see the posts on this one. Looking for attorney this week.

Comment

I used a small firm (2 lawyers/partners). I think I actually prefer it that way, more personal and you won't get lost in the shuffle of everyone's BK.
      CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
      Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

A boutique is better if you need the individualized service or have anything other than a "routine" case. They can be more expensive (in some cases they are not). I would only send people to the puppy mill... err... bankruptcy mill if they have super simple no asset cases, and don't have a lot to spend on an attorney.

As always, you should feel very comfortable with your attorney and be able to speak with them about everything.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I am with a very small firm, too. Two attorneys and a handful of paralegals. Great service, instant callbacks, and have taken the time to meet with me three times in the past three years. Each meeting was with the attorney, though I communicate via email and phone with a specific paralegal.

All in all, I am extremely happy, and would absolutely hate to work with a large BK Mill type of firm. Others may have different opinions about larger firms, but I love our attorney.
          11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
          12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
          3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I went with a solo attorney. She has over 30 years experience and is chair of the State Bar Association Bankruptcy Section, so she seems to know her stuff! I've been pleased by her responsiveness and attention to detail.

Comment

The attorney I met with is a single attorney firm....seems to know the trustee in our district well and as able to talk about how he would react to certain bedget items. I have a lien strip as well and we discussed several topics related to that and others.
              Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

We went with a small 2 partner firm too.

The large on tv place we went to felt like a we were buying a car from slimey salesmen. They didn't care about your particulars and they just wanted you to sign and pay.
                Another smaller place I went you met with a newly unexperienced lawyer (para legal imho) and she said everythign would be great. You didn't talk to the actual lawyer who was going to present your case.

So you really need to go to different people and get an idea of who will handle your case best. We have lots of complex issues and wanted to know that our Lawyer was very knowledgealble in Bk.

Filed July 09
                Confirmation - June 2010
                Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

I, also, went with a two lawyer firm. Didn't meet the guy with his name on the building but got his "partner". She was young and not just a pretty face. Sharp and to the point and available for any and all questions. They appeared to be busy but had plenty of time for us. We had already gone thru our 341 and were confirmed before I happened on this forum. Everything that could have been an issue (from what I gleaned here) was addressed and it couldn't have gone any smoother. A 13 that allowed us to survive and save. So I would have to say that, in my case, smaller was better.
                  Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

I also went with a small one-attorney firm with a terrific paralegal and other staff. He was extremely knowledgable, and has been doing strictly BK's for more than 25 yrs. He knows all the trustees and what will fly or not. He knew, right from the first meeting, that the UST was going to be involved in my case (high income, high debt, Ch 7). And he knew what to provide to prevent any issues from popping up. ....consequently my Ch 7 was smooth and successful.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I am thinking I made a HUGE mistake and picked a "bankruptcy mill" to represent me and I am soooooooo regretting it.... Time will tell.... If I had it to do over I would research my area better. The law firm I have has a A- on the Better Business Site so I thought they would be good . Obviously its not the only financial mistake I have ever made
                      Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                      Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                      Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

Originally posted by klandsb View Post
                        The law firm I have has a A- on the Better Business Site so I thought they would be good .
                        "Better Business"... while I was a member at one time, that's all it takes... paying your membership fee. I find them no different than the Chamber of Commerce.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well thanks JustBroke... I am feeling soooo much better !!!
                          Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                          Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                          Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

I try to help where I can. In the end, as human beings, we always want to trust the person we hired to help us. We implicitly trust friends and family, but tend to extend that to "professionals". Unfortunately, there are some untrustworthy folks out there. It's not your fault.

Comment

I went with a solo attorney, he seems to know the trustee well. However, as justbroke has shown me, all districts are not identical. Believe me when i say in this part of georgia things are kept "real simple" lol. I want ask my attorney alot of questions about things i have learned on here. I am just gonna try to fly below the radar of the trustee and finish my plan lol

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X