I am ready to throw in the towel because this isn't working for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am ready to throw in the towel because this isn't working for us

I really wish I had found this site BEFORE we filed- I would have at least had some guidance that our attorney didn't provide for us and maybe even have filed on our own. We have a confirmed chapter 13 plan, but it makes no sense to me, our attorney is not communicating at all, we need to amend it, we are 2 months behind on payments and the trustee filed a motion to dismiss. I can come up with the 2 months, but February's is still due and that one's a problem. The woman at the trustee's office told us we should have called- they filed the motion to dismiss the day before they received a payment from us. Had they known the payment was coming they wouldn't have filed they said. Well, our attorney knew we were behind, but we never thought to call the trustee and talk to her. Anyways, she said we could have the attorney file to extend the payment due date or work out a payment plan. We have called, emailed and actually faxed the attorney about the situation. The faxed letter finally got a response from the paralegal on Tuesday that she would check with the attorney that day and get back to us. Well, it's Sunday and she never got back to us. Husband seems to think they're just not as stressed about it as we are and they'll file what they need to in time. I am not so calm and trusting because of the history with this attorney.

We have contacted our attorney several times about this before the plan was confirmed in Dec, we even told them when we fell behind on payments that the plan amount was not working with our budget and we even had to take pay day loans every paycheck for about 2 months. (You know how it works- borrow $500 against next pay day, but that pay day you're $500 short for those expenses for that 2 week period because you paid it back, so you borrow again, and on and on. We finally broke free of that when my husband got his $1000 Xmas bonus from his employer). Yet, nothing is done.
    We talk to the paralegal. She says she'll talk to the attorney. We don't hear back, or we do and she says she hasn't had a chance to talk to the attorney or she doesn't have any answers yet. We call the attorney's line directly and leave voicemail, she has the paralegal call us back instead of her calling us back. I am so sick and tired of having nothing done.

Our plan needs to be amended. The vehicle loan was supposed to be crammed down, it wasn't. Our plan was filed with the value of the vehicle listed, but the creditor file a claim in the full amount and on the trustee's website it shows us paying towards that amount. Our attorney's office said they had to wait to file the proposal to change the loan value until after the creditor filed their secured claim, but had us sign paperwork back in June when we filed so that as soon as the claim was filed they could file that change. The creditor claim was filed in July, for full loan amount. It was refiled in September, just changing the attorney that was representing the credit union to one that was local to our bankruptcy district. Yet, nothing's been done to address the loan value.

We've had changes in expenses/income. Husband's job now takes $200 a month for 401K contributions that we weren't doing before because he hadn't been at the job long enough. That's the minimum amount- we would like to contribute more because we have NO retirement savings so far but can't. Of course, we "could" (if I am understanding correctly that 401K contributions are allowed to be budgeted for when filing a plan) but our plan currently doesn't allow us the means to do that. Our car insurance also- our 17 year old son is waiting to get his license because our insurance plan will go up $220 a month according to the quote and we can't cover that right now either so he is still holding just a permit. I've had to pull our 7yo son from school and start homeschooling him, a big budget buster. When the paralegal asked about schooling expenses for our 6 children, I guessed maybe $130 a month (figuring field trips, various dues, sports fees). I had NO clue, and got no guidance from her to include school lunches (thought this had to be covered under our gov't allotted amount towards our food budget), college testing fees, application fees, upcoming pre-school fees (also about to start as our youngest son just turned 4), school supplies,etc. I also had no idea that I could include summer camp expenses for my middle and elementary schoolers as "child care expenses". I just thought I'ld have to tell them no more summer camp at the YMCA. Really, our disposable income probably should have been near zero if I had known any of this ahead of time (which makes since because it's not like we don't live paycheck to paycheck). I am just very very frustrated with the whole thing. No communication. No guidance. AND, we were clearly told when we went in to sign the papers that the plan amount was a starting point, it would most likely go DOWN depending on how many creditors filed claims. Well, we were naive and believed that but that's obviously a lie. The plan amount stays the same, it just means that the unsecured creditors get more if not everyone files.

I used a handy online plan calculator that someone posted in a sticky thread here- if we cram down the vehicle and drop our plan payment down to 1300 a month the plan works. $500 a month is a HUGE difference in plan payment.

This was supposed to be a workable plan, it was supposed to relieve our stress, and all it is doing is adding to it.
    Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Please don't throw in the towel. There must be a way to fix this. The first step is to get your attorney working for you.

You need to be more persistent. If you called the paralegal on Tuesday, you shouldn't still be waiting for a return call. Stay on top of them. They are busy and the squeaky wheal gets the grease. This may not be right, but it is often how it is. I suggest you pick up the phone right now and leave a message on your attorney's voicemail saying that you need to discuss the motion to dismiss and the need to amend your plan. Say that you spoke to the paralegal on Tuesday and didn't hear back. Ask the attorney to call you back on Tuesday (assuming the office is closed tomorrow) or to have somebody else call you Tuesday a.m. to arrange a mutually convenient time for him to call you. Stress that you want to talk to him, not the paralegal. Then, call the paralegal and leave a message saying that you need legal advice and to please have the attorney call you back on Tuesday. Stress that you want to talk to an attorney, not a paralegal, as you need legal advice. Be polite but firm. If you don't get a call by mid-day Tuesday, call again. If the paralegal calls you back for any purpose other than to set a time for you to speak with the attorney, politely say that you need to talk to the attorney.

You may not get all the expenses you want. But, you should be able to discuss all of your questions and concerns with your attorney and have him explain your options and tell you how he plans to respond to the motion to dismiss.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you. Have you thought about showing up at the attorney's office? I mean, don't be obnoxious or anything, but you need answers and fixes.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel.my chapter 13 hasnt been confirmed due to trustee wanting more money based on 401k loan that has 18 months to go. I called atty and told paralegal it needs to be amended.i am once again robbing peter to pay paul. I redid my expenses fromlast year and resubmitting them. Kids are not cheap i never realized how much i pay for each one lunches ect. Now that i have it written down on paper i am going to fight. Bankruptcy is supposed to make it easier not harder. It sure seems as if its getting worse than better and if i have to throw in the towel i will all creditors at this point (unsecured) are settling for pennies (20) on the dollar i am not let going to let this get the best of me and you shouldnt either

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
          Wow, I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you. Have you thought about showing up at the attorney's office? I mean, don't be obnoxious or anything, but you need answers and fixes.

My husband's office is, conveniently, right across the street from our attorney's new office. So a few months back he "popped in" to talk about our case. (I can not recall, but I think at this point we had filed, had our 341 but were waiting to hear about a couple issues that came up during the meeting...or maybe it was after we gave them all the paperwork and before they actually filed. We handed everything over to the attorney end of Jan 2009, it was all neat and orderly, the paralegal even remarked how easy we made her job. It took them until June to file us...and many phonecalls and emails from us to question what was going on...and it only happened because we got spooked by a last demand letter from the IRS and said "we need this done NOW", otherwise it would have been months more I am sure. I kid you not, they had an entire year's worth of pay stubs from us when we finally did file because we had to keep providing them with updated ones for the 6month look back everytime we inquired about where things were. So, communication and motivation has been an issue all along with this attorney's office. )....

anyway, my point was that when he went in he was calm, and not obnoxious. The attorney herself happened to be standing in the foyer talking to another attorney about whether or not to list just her name, or her name and field of expertise on her door. The receptionist was not at the desk. So the attorney notices DH standing there and asked if she could help him...he re-introduced himself and said he was on his lunch break, worked nearby and was hoping to talk with her or the paralegal about our case since we haven't been able to get a returned phonecall.

The attorney snapped back at him something to the effect of "how about if you leave me your business card, and I pop into your office unannounced?". He was FLOORED.

The woman is a bit of a b****....if only she would use that attitude to fight for our case.

We sent over another fax this morning. (since the faxed letter seemed to get their attention last time). We will wait until Wed a.m.....if we haven't heard we are calling the trustee to clue her in and see what we can do. She's not our adversary, she is there to see the plan works thru and if our attorney is not doing what she needs to to help us with our end of things the trustee should be aware I think. I don't know...
          Last edited by olivies; 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
          Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

To which I would have said, "If a client who I had repeatedly failed to follow up with came into my office, I would roll out the red carpet because I would have known I was totally in the wrong."
            Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
            Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
            Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
            341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              To which I would have said, "If a client who I had repeatedly failed to follow up with came into my office, I would roll out the red carpet because I would have known I was totally in the wrong."

I filed pro se, and have been on the fence all along as to whether or not I wish I had an attorney. Well. Filing was easy. It's dealing with all the other stuff that comes up that is not so easy. But, if I had to deal with an attorney with an attitude like that, it would send me right over the edge. I would ask her when she plans to earn the fee I paid her since she apparently is not having trouble spending it. (on door plaques???) Of course, I have my bi+chy minutes, too, so maybe I shouldn't talk too loudly about other people's bad attitudes. But she is really lucky she isn't working for me, and she should count her blessed stars.

Comment

I would ask her when she plans to earn the fee I paid her since she apparently is not having trouble spending it. (on door plaques???) Of course, I have my bi+chy minutes, too, so maybe I shouldn't talk too loudly about other people's bad attitudes. But she is really lucky she isn't working for me, and she should count her blessed stars.
                Door plaque AND she moved to a swanky new multi-lawyer office on downtown Main St. DH is trying to remain calm and not yell and get in her face because he says we just don't know if she's doing her job and just the communication stinks or what. I think, however, that we know she's not doing it...or her paralegal isn't doing it...or the left isn't talking to the right..."something" is not right. NOW I know why this particular attorney refuses to include any of her fees in the actual bankruptcy (I wonder what percentage of her cases don't get confirmed, or are dismissed prior to completion). She has her $- less incentive for her to see the plan through. The more additional motions or hearings or amendments that happen now the plan is confirmed, the more $ she gets to charge. Like I said- I'm ready to just throw in the towel (what I really wish is that I could file complaints with the state board or get my $ back for her non-representation, but I told DH that we only ever spoke to her twice...she doesn't even attend the 341 or Confirmation, but sends a proxy...the rest of the time we have dealt with her paralegal (not by choice, but when someone would return our call finally it was the paralegal). So technically, it was the paralegal who, for example, gave us bad advice and information regarding the plan payment and how it "would most likely go down depending on how many creditors file claims", not the attorney. GRRRRR)

Comment

I'm so sorry this happened this way for you. I hope it all gets straightened out. Maybe a call to the bar association wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean, it can't hurt to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by olivies View Post
                    My husband's office is, conveniently, right across the street from our attorney's new office. So a few months back he "popped in" to talk about our case. (I can not recall, but I think at this point we had filed, had our 341 but were waiting to hear about a couple issues that came up during the meeting...or maybe it was after we gave them all the paperwork and before they actually filed. We handed everything over to the attorney end of Jan 2009, it was all neat and orderly, the paralegal even remarked how easy we made her job. It took them until June to file us...and many phonecalls and emails from us to question what was going on...and it only happened because we got spooked by a last demand letter from the IRS and said "we need this done NOW", otherwise it would have been months more I am sure. I kid you not, they had an entire year's worth of pay stubs from us when we finally did file because we had to keep providing them with updated ones for the 6month look back everytime we inquired about where things were. So, communication and motivation has been an issue all along with this attorney's office. )....

anyway, my point was that when he went in he was calm, and not obnoxious. The attorney herself happened to be standing in the foyer talking to another attorney about whether or not to list just her name, or her name and field of expertise on her door. The receptionist was not at the desk. So the attorney notices DH standing there and asked if she could help him...he re-introduced himself and said he was on his lunch break, worked nearby and was hoping to talk with her or the paralegal about our case since we haven't been able to get a returned phonecall.

The attorney snapped back at him something to the effect of "how about if you leave me your business card, and I pop into your office unannounced?". He was FLOORED.

The woman is a bit of a b****....if only she would use that attitude to fight for our case.

We sent over another fax this morning. (since the faxed letter seemed to get their attention last time). We will wait until Wed a.m.....if we haven't heard we are calling the trustee to clue her in and see what we can do. She's not our adversary, she is there to see the plan works thru and if our attorney is not doing what she needs to to help us with our end of things the trustee should be aware I think. I don't know...
                    File a complaint with your state's Legal Ethics Board or Board of Attorneys Professional Responsibility....log your attempts at communication, the dates you sent information, etc. An attorney has a professional responsibility to communicate with the client in a timely fashion.

I don't know about the laws in your state; in Tennessee it is legal to record a conversation with someone so long as one party knows he/she is being recorded...possibly a tape of her conversation would help change her attitude.

Comment

Unbelievable!! I would contact the trustee directly. Our attorney was kind of a jerk, but the trustee's office was great to deal with. Good Luck.
                      sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Here's an update- we faxed the 2nd letter over reiterating our situation, what we would like to do, and requesting that she call us or have someone in her office call so we can set up a mutually convenient time to seek out her advice on this.

No response.

So we called the trustee's office, and the best they could do was call our attorney's office and ask that she call us. If we got no response, the trustee's office said to call back "in a few days" (which would be the end of the week).

We still haven't heard- so it looks like we'll be calling the trustee back tomorrow morning. Our date given to cure in the motion was Feb 22 (Monday...3 payments due, including the current one. I can only cover 2 of those). I am wondering if I take all our attempts at written communication, indicating our problems with the payment and the wish to modify the plan...some going back months ago...and provide them to the court if they will sanction the attorney somehow or extend our cure date because our attorney has just plain been ignoring us? If we pre-emptively dismiss it ourselves, it still gets dismissed with prejudice? DH is wondering if we should contact another attorney about errors and omissions on our bankruptcy attorney's end. Or if we can just file a plan modification ourselves, that covers the arrearage?

In the meantime, I am STRESSED and wondering what the heck will happen with all my undisbursed funds, how much interest the IRS will be tacking on to my taxes, and what happens to my car loan. I am not a happy person, to say the least.

Comment

What you want to do is call the bankruptcy clerk (or the trustee) and ask for PROCEDURAL GUIDANCE.

Yes you can modify your plan, but it requires service on the matrix. So if you do modify the plan yourself, don't forget to put AMENDED on every schedule you change and be sure to include a certificate of service and list all the name addresses in the matrix on your certificate of service, too. Also be sure to ask if you need to include a fee with the filing if you go this route.

Check your Local Bankruptcy Rules on what is required to modify a confirmed plan.

If you do modify your plan, you should really work out a do-able payment for yourself. Are you currently in a 36 or a 60 month repayment? If you are in a 36 month schedule, you can probably try to extend the number of months in your plan.

I filed my Motion to Value Collateral after I filed my plan, but before confirmation. My plan only included repayment of the cram down amount, however, so it was blatantly obvious what my intention was toward that debt. We need somebody more knowledgeable to chime in on this thread about whether you can or how to do the Motion to Value Collateral after confirmation.

The IRS should not be adding interest YET because you are not officially dismissed yet.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by tigergem; 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

What you want to do is call the bankruptcy clerk (or the trustee) and ask for PROCEDURAL GUIDANCE.

Yes you can modify your plan, but it requires service on the matrix. So if you do modify the plan yourself, don't forget to put AMENDED on every schedule you change and be sure to include a certificate of service and list all the name addresses in the matrix on your certificate of service, too. Also be sure to ask if you need to include a fee with the filing if you go this route.

Check your Local Bankruptcy Rules on what is required to modify a confirmed plan.

If you do modify your plan, you should really work out a do-able payment for yourself. Are you currently in a 36 or a 60 month repayment? If you are in a 36 month schedule, you can probably try to extend the number of months in your plan.

I filed my Motion to Value Collateral after I filed my plan, but before confirmation. My plan only included repayment of the cram down amount, however, so it was blatantly obvious what my intention was toward that debt. We need somebody more knowledgeable to chime in on this thread about whether you can or how to do the Motion to Value Collateral after confirmation.

The IRS should not be adding interest YET because you are not officially dismissed yet.

Good luck.
                            Help me make heads or tails of this, in my local rules:

Rule 9011-2
                            PRO SE PARTIES; REPRESENTED PARTIES
                            Any party for whom a general appearance of counsel has been
                            made shall not thereafter take any step or be heard in the case
                            in proper person, absent prior leave of Court
                            ; nor shall any
                            party, having previously elected to proceed in proper person, be
                            permitted to obtain special or intermittent appearances of
                            counsel except upon such conditions as the Court may specify.
                            Rule 1009-1
                            AMENDMENTS TO LISTS & SCHEDULES
                            (a) This rule applies to amendments to schedules,
                            petitions, lists, matrices, statement of social security numbers,
                            and statements of financial affairs,
                            (b) Amendments must contain a caption including the case
                            number and the title, and should only contain additional, or
                            indicate deleted information.
                            (c) The amendment must be executed and verified under
                            penalty of perjury by the debtor and attorney of record in the
                            same manner that the item being amended was originally executed
                            Please tell me this does not mean that I can't file my own amendment if need be, because that's how I'm reading it.

Comment

So, it looks like in addition to filing your plan amendment you need to file a Motion requesting permission to file it pro se WITH IT. In the motion you would state your full reasons... all the gripes you have with your attorney. List exhibits. Attach those. In your request for relief you would include "grant leave to file the attached amendments on my own behalf" and sanctions against your attorney, and any other relief that may be appropriate.

In my district when you file a motion, you also have to file an attached proposed order. So check your local rules on that so you know if you have to type up the order that states the relief you want.

Alternatively you could possibly file the same type of motion, but instead of requesting to file the amendments you could .... lay it all out, the reasons why and your exhibits.... and request motion to dismiss without prejudice so you can refile without time constraints with a different attorney.

Here again, we really need some more experienced guidance on this thread!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X