BK means test calculator questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK means test calculator questions

LadyInTheRed posted this link to a great means test calculator.

But I am a little bit confused by some of the sections.

Line 32 Telecommunications. Is this asking for an amount over and above some generic amount allowed elsewhere? The verbiage about

What are they talking about "to the extent necessary for your health and welfare..." does it mean only the amount of service you need for something like a heart monitor reporting into your doctor's office, or "gee, we need the internet for stuff like the bkforum.com, and read cnn.com, and facebook."

And what means 'do not include any amount previously deducted. Deducted from where for pity's sake, this form is soo confusing!
    Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

I guess you see why I included that warning with the link. It is very confusing.

I Googled "bankruptcy means test lline 32" and found a handout from a presentation by the US Trustee in Tennessee on the means test. http://www.justice.gov/ust/r08/tenne...esentation.pdf

The document doesn't allow copying, but Line 32 is discussed on page 51. Even the US Trustee does not seem certain what it includes. It does say not to include basic phone and long distance because that's included in line 20a, so that is one amount that is allowed elsewhere. You also shouldn't include anything that is deducted as a business expense on line 4b.

It also says it MIGHT include cell phones, pagers and internet. This is probably one of the many things in BK that is district specific.

I consider my husband's and my cell phones necessary for health and welfare. We were finally inspired to get cell phones after 9-11 when my husband dropped me off at work in downtown San Francisco and then started hearing on the radio about how many of the office buildings were closing. He couldn't find a pay phone to call and find out if he should come pick me up and he sure didn't want me to get on the subway to get home that day. It may be a stretch, since people managed to stay healthy and safe without cell phones not too long ago. But, as technology changes, so does society's perception of what is necessary. I am amazed when I hear people say that their 10 year olds absolutely must have a cell phone so they can keep tabs on them. But, it seems to be a pretty common attitude. It is true that it's hard to find a pay phone these days. Okay, I'll stop before I get too far off topic with comments about today's society. I don't remember whether my attorney included anything on that line. I'll have to check when I'm home.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

That presentation was pretty helpful, thanks (why didn't I think of googling it - duh!)

We dispensed with a home phone a couple years ago. A national family share cell plan gives us the peace of mind we need. I drive an hour each way to work, hubby a half hour and we both have ended up broken down late at night far away. We live in a rural state and there are no payphones anywhere we go that I've ever observed.
      Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X