Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank of America Mortgage after Filing Question

Hi,
    I am helping my dear boyfriend file a Chapter 13 (he has a lawyer, I'm just helping get stuff together, and knowing what to ask and such, having walked in his shoes now for some time with my own 13).

He has his mortgage with Bank of America. Will he continue to get statements / payment coupons just like always, or is it different in bankruptcy?

Can he set up some kind of electronic payment to them or is that not offered to those in bankruptcy? I had heard that some mortgages treat people in bankruptcy differently. Mine did not, but I didn't have Bank of America (formerly a Countrywide loan).

Thanks!

My first mortgage is with Bank of America and was formally with Countrywide. I am pretty sure I have received no statements from them since filing my Chap 13. I can no longer access the account online. But, I've continued to pay to the same address I was paying to before using my checking account's bill pay. I think I'm going to call them and ask if they will send me informational statements. May payment includes taxes and insurance and I want to be able to make sure they are making those payments.

The funny thing is that CitiMortgage who has a second mortgage I am stripping still sends me "informational" statements, even though I already have the order valuing the lien at zero. Wishful thinking I guess.

I suggest your BF set up an automatic montly payment through his bank's bill pay.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

(I filed ch. 13 12/09, dismissed it 3/10)

I have BofA, formerly Countrywide.

I still received statements, with payment amount and remittance address as well as a 'for information purposes only' comment since they cannot actively try to collect.

I was able to login to the BofA mortgage area - but only the initial screen that shows total balance. Could not go into the account itself, and could not initiate payments thru that site.

I was able to do online payments, initiated thru my online bill pay. He should be able to do the same - just will need to confirm the payment address as its different while under the BK department.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

[QUOTE=SMinGA;436908
        I was able to login to the BofA mortgage area - but only the initial screen that shows total balance. Could not go into the account itself, and could not initiate payments thru that site.
        [QUOTE]

That's how it works for me too.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

It did go back to normal - the online access I mean - about 3-4 weeks after the dismissal when BofA updated to take it back out of BK status. Had to wait til the BK dept no longer had it to discuss modification.
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I was mistaken. I am still getting statements from BoA. The odd thing is that there isn't a notice that it's for informational purposes only. There is a note that says they are required by law to tell me the notice is from a debt collector

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X