Car needed after CH13 confirmation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car needed after CH13 confirmation

I filed my Ch 13 in Jan '10, meeting w/creditors was in March '10, and my plan was confirmed in April '10. My vehicle payment of $438/mo was included in my plan payment. I use my diesel truck for work. It recently began acting up and my local dealer has determine I need a new engine, at a cost of about $8000 (vehicle is a 2002 Ford F350 w/165,000 miles).

My question is can I even get another vehicle and a loan to purchase one? Is the trustee able to remove my $438/mo payment if I sell off the truck and pay off my loan balance?

I know I cannot swing a new loan payment if the plan payment doesn't get reduced.
    Chapter 13 Filed Feb 2010, Confirmed May 2010
    Last payment made Dec 2014, Awaiting discharge

You'll need to get trustee approval to get a new loan. Your plan will probably need to be modified to accommodate the new loan. I'm fuzzy on the details of how all that will work. You need to contact your attorney.

Have you tried getting quotes at places other than the dealer? You may be able to get a reconditioned engine installed for much less. Even for a brand new engine, the dealer is probably the most expensive place to get the work done. Shop around a bit before you decide it's not worth repairing your truck.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X