Credit card (Amex)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card (Amex)

I have this credit card American Express which I pay off every month.
    If I payoff before filing for BK 13 can I still keep the card or do Amex will drop me off even though I always pay them off. One attorney say I can keep that as long as it is paid off before filing and one says that as soon as American ex finds out that we filed chapter 13 they will drop us. Do you guys know what is the truth??
    How about with Capital One.
    Thank you

Pretty much when you file, everyone will close the accounts. Capital One you may be able to get a card later after the BK but Amex won't until the BK drops off your report.

Comment

Sorry to say....but everyone is going to close your cards...no one will survive. We had many zero balance cards that informed us that they were closed once the bk hit.

Amex absolutely will close.

Filed July 09
      Confirmation - June 2010
      Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Comment

With Amex this can be tricky, depends on what kind of card it is and weather it is a personal or business card, and your history with them.

I have an AMEX corp card through my company, it is in my name, I get the bill every month and have to pay it ( thou I get reimbursed from my work before the bill arrives ).
        In this case this is not a revolving account, it has to be paid off every month.
        I made sure this card was NOT listed on the bankruptcy.

I filed Ch13 in April, This card is still active and I have used it recently ( I occasionally have to charge things for work which I get reimbursed for)

And on top of that I had a personal AMEX Blue card which was included in the bankruptcy, AMEX is most certainly aware that I filed as they have submitted a proof of claim on the AMEX Blue card.

But as others have said, in general most any card will get closed, from what I have been told AMEX Corp cards can be the exception if your history on that card is good.

On a side note, indebt00, I see that you are in AZ too and were confirmed, but it too 11 months!!! Was there anything "special" about your case or are they just taking that long to confirm (my lawyer warned me that it would be 6 months or more... but 11.....)

Comment

Always expect to loose all credit cards. Additionally, your confirmation order will probably disallow any credit anyhow! When it comes to corporate T&E (charge) cards, how AMEX treats the account will be based on if you have joint liability with your company or not (most are at least joint responsibility, some are corporate responsibility, and others have "full" personal liability).
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My husband has an AMEX card that had a zero balance when we filed BK in 2005 so we didn't have to include it in our filing. They never closed the account and once we were discharged in 2008, he began using it again to start rebuilding his credit. They didn't even raise the rate on the account.

Comment

Thank you all. I have this card will I pay off every month. I am thinking of calling them and see how it will go.
              If they will close the account than the balance of this month I will in clue in bk.

Comment

Never call a credit card company and tell them you're planning to file bankruptcy. They'll usually cancel the card before you hang up. Just a warning!
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X