What to do about getting a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about getting a car?

I worried about the above question over and over the last few years of being in CH 13. Couldn't get a loan in my thinking, though this is not exactly right! What I didn't consider was that people can BUY a working used car for 2k! Still I didn't think that way till a bit ago. We are so close to being done with our CH13 and my husband was thinking we could take the money we have and put it down as a down payment for a new Van soon as it was done. I did some research and finally saw the light, forget car debt, I asked him if I could handle getting the van and he said yes, so I took the 5.5k and went and got a used Odyssey at a dealer, 1k less than they listed it for. I called the bank and used my Debit card for it even. I drove it home. It is in the driveway. It is so weird. I love it, it is safe, a great van, and NO payment.

My point here, forget the car debt. I thought it was normal to have such debt, that no one could get a good car for less than 10k. I was wrong.

Now to save for repairs, there are always repairs with cars, and the age doesn't really matter, always repairs!

Originally posted by BookGoddess View Post
    My point here, forget the car debt. I thought it was normal to have such debt, that no one could get a good car for less than 10k. I was wrong.
    Congratulations, BK! You really are free financially now. What a valuable bk lesson and you're living it now. Don't ever turn back!

Another advantage of paying cash for an older car - much lower insurance rates! Even more savings!

Now to save for repairs, there are always repairs with cars, and the age doesn't really matter, always repairs!
    Consider taking what you would have paid for a new car payment and save it every month. It's an instant repair fund with plenty left over for other things if you keep the maintenance up on your new (to you) car. Who knows.....eventually you'll save enough to eventually replace this car with another new (to you) car for cash as well!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

That is awesome! I am hoping to do the same as soon as I know for sure if the money that the ins. company offered for my totaled van will be in my hands or not. If so, I am going to buy what I can buy with what I have. Otherwise, I have no clue what we will do. I DO NOT WANT A CAR PAYMENT.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X