top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do I take the course for financial management?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do I take the course for financial management?

Okay we are coming to the end of the plan (1 month to go). My attorney has not been a lot of help so I wanted to ask you all. When do we need to take the course. I happen to read it on here and that is the only reason I know we have to do it. Should I take it now? Where do I find it? Is there a fee?

Oh and we did take a course and had to pay $50 for it. That was in the very beginning when we filed. Was that different?

Comment

You will need to take it before you can receive your discharge, so you should take it sooner rather than later.
      Here is a link to a online class that charges only $10.95. I filed as Chapter 7 and took the coarse before my 341 Meeting took about 2 hrs, they have it structured so each question takes about the same time, you can not proceed before answering the question an the clock runs to 0:00 on each question.

Rasakan kegembiraan Vegas dengan Juara189 Slot! Temukan beragam gaming slot, fitur menarik, dan turnamen seru. Bergabunglah sekarang dan nikmati pengalaman bermain yang mendebarkan di Juara 189
      Filed: 10/29/2011 Chapter 7
      341: Scheduled for December 19, 2011

Comment

You better take it as soon as possible. They can hold the discharge up until you get it done. I took the course 6 months into the plan. Yes there is a fee. I went to the same people that I took the first course with. CALL YOUR DUMB LAWYER FOR A REFERAL. I just made my last (60th ) payment this month., and waiting........

Comment

Welcome kayday...are you talking bout the 2nd course.
          If you have already filed the first course should be behind you. I did my 2nd course before my 341 so the trustee had a copy of completed course in hand at my 341.

OOPS...MISSED THAT YOU HAD ALREADY FILED AND ALMOST DONE...

This is who i took the 2nd course from...$24.00
          I completed it the day after my atty filed for me.
          http://www.solidstartfinancial.com/
          There may be others on here that found it for a smaller fee.
          Good luck.
          KAM..that was a great price. Wish i had found it that cheap.
          Last edited by oregonpilot; 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM.
          filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
          "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Arbyone View Post
            You better take it as soon as possible. They can hold the discharge up until you get it done. I took the course 6 months into the plan. Yes there is a fee. I went to the same people that I took the first course with. CALL YOUR DUMB LAWYER FOR A REFERAL. I just made my last (60th ) payment this month., and waiting........
            a huge congrats to you Arby....you made it.....you are sooooo close.
            filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
            "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

YOu need to make certain that the required post-filing Debtor Education (aka Financial Management) course you take is approved by your state. The course links provided to different courses so far may be approved by your state or may not be.

To find your state's up-to-date list of all the approved post-filing financial management courses you can take in person, over the phone, or over the internet, go to http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...e_approved.htm and select your state using the drop-down menu.

Some bk lawyers are approved to provide the post-filing course as well. Ask your lawyer's office if they provide the post-filing course or not.

The bk law does not define when the post-filing financial management course needs to be taken. Some local courts do set a specific time frame such as within the first year, but that's up to the court. If your local court doesn't specify a time frame, then as long as the course is taken at least a few months before discharge and your lawyer provides the completion certificate to the court, you're good to go.

Most Ch 13 filers don't wait until year 3 or 5 to take tne post-filing course. No sense putting it off - you can't be discharged without it being filed and appearing on PACER as a part of the court documents. If the budget allows, most of us end up taking it sometime during the first two years. Good luck!
              I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
              06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
              07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
              10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
              01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
              09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
              06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
              08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
              Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                Some bk lawyers are approved to provide the post-filing course as well. Ask your lawyer's office if they provide the post-filing course or not.
                My attorney send me information that I have to take this course through them within in 75 days of filing or I won't be discharged. I wonder if this is only a requirement in MN.
                Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                  My attorney send me information that I have to take this course through them within in 75 days of filing or I won't be discharged. I wonder if this is only a requirement in MN.
                  I'm not certain, but it may be that way in MA, too. My attorney sent me a notice before my 341, to take the 2nd course and to give this matter my immediate attention. I had no idea, and thought that this was something everybody had to finish BEFORE the 341. So, I completed that requirement shortly after filing.

Comment

The time restrictions for the mandatory financial management course sound "iffy" to me. First of all - you cannot file for bankruptcy without having completed the credit counseling course. The second course completion time restriction, with respect to Chapter 13 filings, would be succinctly stated in the Plan Confirmation document from the BK court, or the Standing Trustee would be duty-bound to inform debtors about any time restrictions relative to course completion up front and as a matter of course. You cannot be denied a discharge if you did not complete the course within a certain time frame.

Comment

I make my 60th payment in January and I just took my course in November. I didn't even know about till I read it on this message board and asked my lawyer about it..

Comment

I took the second course 3 years into my 5 year Ch 13. I didn't know anything about the requirement until I got a notice from the Trustee that the course would be offered every 6 months in my area. The Trustee's representative gave the course complete with certificates of completion to give to our lawyers.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X