Personal Property Tax in Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Property Tax in Chapter 13

I am having a problem, being billed for Personal Property Tax, fiscal 2012, with my city, for contents in a retail location that I left back in 2010. The tax amount is for $400 and is supposed to be on "assets" such as furniture, in a business.

I called the Chairman Assessor about a week ago, and told him that the location is closed, and I'm also not the owner of the building. I'm still waiting to hear back. I'll probably call him again tomorrow.

Does anybody have any ideas about what else I could do about this? I'm afraid if I just ignored this, it could somehow cause problems with my ch-13.

Lilymarlene, when did you file your Ch 13? Was it before or after Jan 1, 2011?

Let your lawyer know immediately about the 2012 tax bill so he/she can provide insights about how to best address this situation.

It's a good idea to stay off the phone yourself and ask your lawyer to start a correspondence in writing with the city to create a dated paper trail in case the city tries the "we were never notified" game and starts adding on penalties and interest to what they say you owe.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks. I filed the end of October 2010. Anything previous to that, of course was listed in my Bankruptcy. This is a new bill, for contents in a retail location, that has been closed since June 2010.

It probably doesn't make any difference, but I received a "notice to quit" letter from my business landlord May 2010. At the time, I had paid 90% of back rent owed, was working on the rest, but the landlord was happier letting the unit sit vacant (which is still is not rented.) So I promptly had to vacate, and left some old broken up furniture behind. (I couldn't carry it out or had the means to store it.)

I guess if I have to I will, but I hate to ask my attorney anything. I'm past my confirmation, and he gets $350 per hour. Probably would end up being same price as the tax.

Comment

Your solution is quite simple - I know as I have been there myself.
        Contact the Assessor's office and let them know you received a tax bill for 2012, when the business shut down in 2010.
        He may ask for some proof or a statement that the business closed in 2010.
        It may take them a week or so, but the Assessor will be able to cancel out that bill.

When I closed my business, I went down to the Assessors office to personally file a change of address and inform them the business is closed. I still got a property tax bill the next year (probably computer generated), but was able to get it cancelled.

Comment

Yoman, thanks, that is a good idea. I just found out my brother did something similar, when he moved his business. He went to the Assessors Office and filled out a form that his business had ceased operations at that location. I'll call my Assessor tomorrow.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X