top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ch13 vs. foreclosure: which is worse for your future credit and new mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ch13 vs. foreclosure: which is worse for your future credit and new mortgage?

I am debating between ch13 and strategic default on a house with underwater 1st and a 2nd HELOC coming due soon (no other debts).

One issue is that is a possible tipping point is that for the future possibility of getting into a reasonable house, I would be taking various credit hits and new mortgage problems depending on the choice.

It is my understanding that ch13 is better that way: I might strip the lien on 2nd or pay it off in three years, take a BK on my credit report and then build up from there. no foreclosure on record should I seek a mortgage in the future, and by the time I'm done in three years, my first should be even or even I might be in the money slightly.

While, a default would be really bad for future mortgages: but the upside would be in three years I would have saved up some money, whereas with the 13 I would be even.

This is post ch7 so deficiency judgements are not in the picture, and I definitely afford my first and also willing to pay in 13 or otherwise something on my second, but I just can't deal with 70k underwater on the 2nd. My family needs a future.

Am I right that a ch13 is way better than a foreclosure, in the way I outlined above? Any other special considerations?

I believe as hard as it may be you are allowed to get an FHA loan after 12 months of on-time payments to the trustee. You are not eligible for an FHA loan unless the actual foreclosure date is 3 years past.

Comment

Thanks! That's one consideration of the relative seriousness of the credit issue. Aside from qualification rules, are there other considerations? I can think of one-- that FC is always asked about on mortgage loans so it is basically permanent record in that sense. Any other considerations of the relative weightiness? Anything that makes ch13 worse?

Comment

MP,

See response on other forum. . . RE: Chapter 20

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X