IRS Identity Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Identity Theft

I filed for Chapter 13 in July...and like a lot of other people who have posted here, I waited way too long to realize that doing so was the sanest way forward for me. Anyway...part of what drove me into BK was following bad advice regarding taking money out of my 401k and therefore getting hit hard by IRS for unpaid taxes and penalties for 2 years running.

Fast forward to this year and I decided to file an extention with the IRS to concentrate on getting the BK done...I wanted to be extra sure this year's return was perfect. I sent it in this week and called the IRS to discuss one part of it and found out that someone has my name and social security number and submitted a tax return posing as me. I had never heard of this scam before, and the jokes on whoever did it since the IRS would keep any tax refund and put it toward what I owe.

I now have to contact the IRS ID theft hotline, the FTC, and Social Security...plus the credit bureaus now that I think about it. I also have to forward my Social Security Card and Birth Certificate to the IRS to prove who I am. I sent a message to my lawyer to see how much I need to tell the court and the trustee. We ran a credit report last May but I will need to run another one to make sure there's nothing there that isn't mine. What a headache.

I'm posting here to see if anyone has had to deal with this sort of thing themselves? I would love any anecdotal advice anyone has...I can't believe anyone could do much with my ID but that's the scariest part of all this...I have no idea what to look out for and now I have to protect my payment plan, etc. Anyone aware of any boards that deal with ID theft?

What a pain and the last thing I needed this year...

The tax "refund" scam has been around for some time. Your social security number could have been compromised in a variety of manners including using a tax preparation service that may have had their data security breached. The IRS will probably issue you a new SSN and that's the downside. You may need to start a new credit file, and I'm not sure how the Credit Bureaus really deal with that issue.

Best of luck to you. I'm glad you caught this before it really became a significant issue!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X