Employment Background Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Background Check

So, I'm in the process of preparing for my final interview for a job in San Francisco. If all things work out, I should be getting an offer. I'm a bit apprehensive because I've been in a CH13 for 14 months now and I'm just wondering how extensive the background check will be. Do all background checks show your bankruptcy or is it only for background checks that ALSO include a credit check? I've heard a lot of differing opinions. If the prospective employer does only a Criminal Background Check, does a CH13 show up? I know that BK is a Civil case, but just curious. I've heard that California has some very strict laws for employers and that they can't run a credit check unless it falls under a specific job description.

The job I'm going for would be a project manager for a construction company so I'm not going into government work and/or the banking industry.

Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The criminal background investigation depends on the type and level. In most cases, they are just looking for convictions and felony arrests. I would not worry at this point.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have had my credit checked along with extensive criminal background. It depends on the company and who they do business with.

Comment

I can't imagine that a BK is going to matter to them for that position. I had an extensive background check done in December and nothing was ever mentioned. Sounds like a non issue to me. I have yet to see anyone on this forum say they were denied a job due to a BK. I think the financial industry is the only place where it might come into play. I wouldn't stress over it.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies! As a follow up question...more than likely, if I do take the job, chances are they are going to ask me to apply for some sort of a Corporate AMEX or some other type of corporate credit card. I really dont want to do this so I was wondering if anyone has come up with this type of situation? And if you did have to go through something similar, should I just not apply for it or should I just apply and see what happens?

Ugh, I feel like I'm living a double life because of my Ch13. I promise, I'm freakin' normal person that just made some bad investments in the past that forced my CH13 hand.

Comment

I wouldn't expect a project manager for a construction company to need a corporate credit card. Is this more like a sales position? I had a Ch 7 so I'm not much help here, but I'm wondering if there might be other options to the corporate credit card. Like paying cash and submitting receipts for reimbursement. I'm afraid you might just have to wait and deal with it when it happens. I've never had an AMEX card, but I heard they are not very BK friendly. You might be able to get a credit card somewhere else, but I can see now where you might have trouble with AMEX. If nothing else try Capital One. They seem to hand out credit like candy.

Comment

I have read of similar situations where a corporate card was issued. Basically, it sounds like someone's name is added to the corporate account similar to an authorized user, no application required. I'm not saying this is your situation, but I can't understand how a company can REQUIRE someone to app for a credit card.

Anyway, one step at a time, good luck with the job!

Comment

thanks. Yeah, I think a corporate card is required due to internal controls...there are times when I know I would have to use it. I know this because I have a corporate card now, but i've had it since before my CH13 filing....

I guess I'm biting off more than I should at this point. I should worry about all this after I get the offer. I'm playing the "assumption" game here. I have a decent job now, I just need to move on for bigger/better things...It would be a cross country move (I live in Chicago now). But i'm ready to take the plunge.

Comment

A corporate card can be personal or corporate liability. It really depends on how the company issues cards (and whether they are truly a large business according to AMEX standards). If the company solely adds you as an authorized user and it's corporate liability (guaranty), then you should be able to get the card. If they do a soft credit check on you and reject your membership, the corporation can still get you a card under corporate liability. Some companies will even have "alternate" credit cards (such as from Mastercard) in case someone can't get AMEX.

In any case, you won't know until you need to apply. If they only ask for your name and D/O/B, as is the most I've seen on any corporate AMEX application, you may be fine. If you have outstanding debt with AMEX, it could be problematic. Again, you won't know until you apply.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X