top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Borrowing from IRA instead of car loan. CAN THIS BE DONE???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borrowing from IRA instead of car loan. CAN THIS BE DONE???????

Has anyone just taken an early partial payout from an IRA to buy a car outright during a Chapter 13? I would think that that would be a better situation than getting an high interest loan. I am hoping to do this without affecting my plan. We are almost 30 months into our 60 month plan and I need a car. My current car has over 250000 miles and is close to costing me a lot of money in repairs. Instead of looking for a loan, I would rather take the hit on my retirement and pay cash outright for a car and be done with it.
    Does this make any sense at all? All I see on here are people getting high interest loans.
    Do you think the trustee would go for something like that?
    I have an email in to my attorney to discuss this. My biggest concern is going to the trustee for a loan and rocking the boat in any way. we are almost half way done and I can't wait for it to be over.

Any idea if this will work???

You are not going to get any Kudos from me!

Stay away from any of your Exempt funds, especially a Retirement fund.

You will not want to believe me, but you WILL regret this move later on. 'Hub and I foolishly cashed in his 401K trying to avoid filing BK, 'because it was the honorable thing to do'. Hogwash, and horse road apples!!!

We are now a senior couple of 60 and 68, and we are living on Social Security, what little pittance I bring in with my PT job, and whatever we can bring with picking up cans on the side of the road.

I am NOT kidding with that last sentence; I am dead serious!!!
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Besides the fact that you should save your IRA for retirement as intended, taking an early withdrawal will probably cost more money than a car loan. You'll have to pay income tax and a 10% early withdrawal penalty. The there's the growth you won't get on what you withdrawal.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I completely understand the reason for not taking this money out, however my concern is that I don't have any extra money to make a car payment in my plan. How could I get another car with no extra money to pay for it? Would they let me reduce my plan payments just to get a car?
        I know I would lose money and I hate the thought of that and not saving enough but I truly don't have one extra cent in my budget to get a car that I have to pay on. My thought is that I would take out maybe $5k to buy a reliable used car that will last me for a while.
        I hoped that mine would last through the BK but unfortunately it is now 15 years old and 270000 miles and will not make it another 2 years so I am at a loss of what to do. This isn't an emergency today but if my luck holds true, it will break down right before Christmas.
        I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by deepinit View Post
          Would they let me reduce my plan payments just to get a car?
          That depends on whether your plan would still be feasible with a reduced payment. If you have minimum amounts that must be paid to cover attorney fees, non-exempt assets and any other things that must be made in your plan, your new payment still needs to be enough to pay those amounts.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Don't do it

Very Bad idea

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X