how long after bankruptcy is over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long after bankruptcy is over?

Hi everyone!! We have 2 months to go and I am sooo excited!!! once it is over, how long will it take it to show on your credit report that it has been discharged so we can start applying for credit to improve our credit score/ Thanks

I am going to say this... don't apply for credit to improve your credit score. Please do not chase that number. If you do choose to apply for credit, do it because you want to rebuild credit for a future major purchase such as a vehicle or home.

Having wrote that, your discharge should show within weeks (usually not more than 4 weeks). I would personally wait a few months to let it age a little. You may want to start with a secured card, since that would be backed by some type of savings or timed-edposit account. Your credit will not magically bounce back after discharge if you did not handle credit too well prior to applying for bankruptcy. Since you are in a Chapter 13, I'm guessing that your scores should already be in the mid to high 600s which is typical if you handled your post-filing finances well.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks, my score is 692.. We have no intentions of using credit anymore. I just want to be able to refinance our house and get a good rate if possible. I thought we would need a credit card to help improve our score and to show we are responsible. We are paying our mortgage out of bankruptcy and never, ever been late on that....Hopefully that is helping..Thanks again..

Comment

Music to my ears! If you want to purchase or refinance in the future, having some tradelines is important. You are going to get into the 700s in no time (I would say almost immediately to 6 months to break 700 -- the discharge should give you a small bump). Your continued perfect payment history on your mortgage will help you in the future as well. I would say that within 2 years after discharge, you should have a solid mid 700s score. But that's all guessing and based on perfect payment history (and low utilization).
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

our discharge showed on all 3 reports 3 days after the discharge date. hopefully yours will be relatively quick. good luck.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X