Fuming mad rant... about my tax refund.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuming mad rant... about my tax refund.

This is not really a post seeking advice, just a rant that I need to get off my chest. My husband and I are smack dab in the middle of our Ch. 13 bankruptcy. We pay in 100%. We struggle every month to make our $1500 payment, but we do it, and we do it even by paying in extra to Uncle Sam and our state so that we can get a tax refund each year. We usually get a pretty hefty refund, and I like this, although I know many will argue against it. I just like to get that big chunk of money in February...

Well, I'm seriously reconsidering it now.

My bankruptcy payment is directly taken out of my paycheck, and I've never missed a payment. Last year, my payroll department accidentally made my last 2012 payment the first week of January. By the time I did my taxes in February 2013, the trustee decided to take $750 from my bankruptcy due to the "balance owed" (even though it wasn't owed by this time). Whatever... I just figured $750 out of $4000 was a drop in the bucket and it would go toward my bankruptcy balance.

Oh well...

Fast forward to this year...

Once again, my payroll department was a few days late getting my final 2013 payment to the Trustee's office, but they did eventually get all of my 2013 payments by the first week of January. So, we did our taxes, we're getting our usual $4,000 refund and now my trustee wants $2693?!?!?! With no explanation other than telling me we are $750 past due (which we are NOT). Where the hell did he come up with the other $1943?!?!?

Like I said, we pay in 100% of our debt. This is OUR MONEY. I can see him taking this if we truly WERE missing payments, but we are NOT. I am FURIOUS.

Why do they get to run our lives like this? That $2700 is much needed right now, and I'm regretting every single extra dollar we pay into Uncle Sam that we don't have to throughout the year. All I have to say is, I hope karma comes swiftly.
    4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
    6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
    7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

i'm so sorry this happened to you. i know you heard it before but using the government is no way to save money although i understand why most people do it. we were like that when the kids lived home and the year of our bk we rec'd a HUGE amount back. we were a 7 and were able to keep it, however, now i like owing the government a few hundred every year. i know i save regularly and those deductions help with our "real" savings account.

i guess it may not hurt to call the trustee's office and find out how they came to that amount?
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Easy fix to this one. Reduce the amount of taxes that are taken out of your check by $4000.00 and you won't have the trustee taking any extra and...... you have an extra $333.33 each month to help ease your pain.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

AFAIK, the trustee cannot make you pay back more than 100% of your debts, so maybe the extra funds will help you complete your plan early.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X