No announcement yet.

I'm an "authorized user" of someone else's credit and its on my credit report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an "authorized user" of someone else's credit and its on my credit report

I'm getting ready to file Ch7 Pro Se. I haven't had a valid credit card account in my name for a while now. A couple years ago, my parents thought it might be a good idea for me to have access to one of their credit cards in case of an emergency. I've used it a couple times over the years with their blessing, usually even paying them back.

I'm not a co-signer on the account. I don't have access to view the bill or anything; my parent's simply had the account for years and then "authorized" me to use it and the bank printed out a card with my name on it. I didn't even fill any paperwork out.

So now I'm preparing my list of creditors and I pulled my credit report and it shows that card as if it's mine. It has a nice huge credit limit and a very low balance. (probably helping my credit score, if that's possible)

What does this mean for my filing? I don't consider that account my debt (because its not) so do I list it as a creditor? Is it going to cause some kind of problem for me in the bankruptcy? Should I have my parents remove me from the account before I file?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I just realized an extra complication...

The card I'm talking about is with USAA Savings Bank. One of my listed debits is a closed USAA account of my own that I owe some $600 on. So I'm listing USAA in my mailing matrix and they're going to know about the bankruptcy.

Do you think this will have a negative effect on my parents USAA account? I'm pretty sure they'd kill me if I screw up their credit.

Comment

Your credit report does not determine what debts you are liable for. It is common for an account on which you are an authorized user to appear on your reports. Some say it doesn't have the same effect on your score as your own accounts. But for me, the balance and payments are on my report and effect my utilization rate, so it is hard to imagine that it is not effecting my score. My score decreased when the utilization on that card increased.

In any case, you listing USAA as a creditor should in no way effect your parents' credit.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Great! thanks for easing my nerves on that one

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X