filed today, lawyer says its a dice roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filed today, lawyer says its a dice roll

My lawyer almost didnt take the case, I am a gambler that had recent atm transactions showing I was gambling. I passed the means test, but because of the atm transactions showing ive been gammbling large amounts the lawyer says theres a good chamce i wont be discharged. June 19th, I gambled a couple thousand dollars and my checking account went negative. Anyone have any experience with this?

It's really up to the Trustee and United States Trustee (UST) to determine whether you are deserving of a discharge in a Chapter 7. Your issue will likely be whether it's a so-called "good faith" filing... especially if you gambled right up to the day of filing.

I have personal experience with gambling but it wasn't a factor in my bankruptcy. I really can't offer any advice on the gambling side and I won't. I was able to stop as soon as I realized what I was doing (longest 6 months in my life). As for bankruptcy, the Trustee will be really interested in what you've done to curb your appetite, but it still probably will not answer the lingering question of the "luxury" of gambling while insolvent (within the 90 days prior to filing).

I wish you the best in your endeavors.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Wow its gonna really suck if i get a bankruptcy on my record and i still have to pay all this money back. Wish I new this before I paid the lawyer. I almost backed out than he told me I wouldnt get a refund. Debt settlement would have been a way better route

Comment

Debt settlement is not the panacea that it appears since not every creditor will settle. Only bankruptcy will definitively wipe out debt without tax implications. It's a strategy choice to file bankruptcy or wait out the creditors (will they sue or not) and maybe settle.

Perhaps you could just follow the existing plan and absolutely nothing happens and the Trustee doesn't really care so long as you say that it's now out of your system. Maybe it's only one creditor that complains and that specific debt is non-dischargeable. It's just too early to tell the ramifications of your actions and how the Trustee will respond. It is what it is, at this point.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Respectfully join a Gamblers Anonymous club it may help two fold!!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X