top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point after Filing Ch 7 can you sell a home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what point after Filing Ch 7 can you sell a home?

So I have my 341 meeting in Sept. and if all goes well, attorney says prollly wont close the case till after income tax refund, (they get half) then a discharge. I was wondering at what time is it safe to sell my house??? Cld thier be any repercussions from doing so? I do have equity in it.

You will need to see if the Trustee abandons the asset by filing a Notice. Otherwise you will need to wait until that abandonment, the case being dismissed, the case being closed. You could file a motion to sell property in order to force the issue.

I'm assuming that you used some sort of homestead exemption to protect the home and the equity in the home. First, just wait for the 341 Meeting and see what happens there. Maybe your attorney can ask the Trustee if they're going to abandon the homestead. Maybe the Trustee will file his/her Notice concerning whether there are assets in the case quickly and abandon the homestead at that time.

But, generally you should wait until abandoned, the case closes (or is dismissed) or a motion has been granted allowing you to sell the property.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X