What is Leading Me To Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Leading Me To Bankruptcy

The thing that is leading me to bankruptcy is that I found out I have been sued for a repo that I had about 2 years ago from Toyota Financial. I received a letter in the mail from a law firm wanting to represent me to defend the law suit. I searched the case number on the Harris County Justice of the Peace website and sure enough it was there in the amount of 6100.24. This is not my only debt however that I am behind on. The Date it was filed was July 29, 2016. Case status shows active and 18 days old. So my question is how long before I will get served or the creditor gets a judgement? If the creditor gets a judgement for this amount is there anything they can do in Texas? I have been researching and researching, however am just wondering anyone's experience with this before I make the final decision to file.

Texas is a very debtor friendly state. Your wages can only be garnished for child support, taxes or federal student loans. If you own a home there is a procedure for protecting it from a judgement creditor, but you should research that or consult an attorney. There are exemptions to protect other assets from collection.

I don't know how long it takes to get a judgement in Texas. You may be able to find an answer with an internet search like "time to get a judgement in texas", "texas civil procedure" or "texas lawsuit timeline".

Before making any decision about filing BK, consult with a couple of bankruptcy attorneys.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X