Join a credit union BEFORE filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Join a credit union BEFORE filing?

I belong to a credit union that will close my account as I have a personal loan included in bankruptcy as well as a car loan I will reaffirm. Is it wise now to join another credit union so down the line when it is time to rebuild I belong?

I currently have BOA which I will keep but all my reading leads me to believe long term a credit union would be better.

Just trying to see if it makes sense to join now or wait till after discharge. Thanks!

Some credit unions could be difficult to join right after filing bankruptcy (or just receiving a discharge). If you want a new Credit Union (CU) account, then I would do that before filing. In my experience, the CU (USAA) only closed my checking account, but my shared saving remained and I'm still a member of the CU. You experience may differ based on the types of accounts you hold and what specific CU to which you belong.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks! To be safe I just joined the credit union by my house. It is actually more convenient than what I currently have.

Comment

Be sure that you talk with your new CU's Bankruptcy department, and let them know what you are planning to do. You may end up like us--even though they had been notified--we got a 'nastygram' from them telling us they would close our account. 'Hub had to spend a couple of hours on the phone with them. We had to reaffirm our car loan, which we were going to do anyway (only had about another 10-12 months to go) and reaffirm our overdraft protection, which we did.

Good wishes!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X