Question reg wait time from Ch 7 to Ch 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question reg wait time from Ch 7 to Ch 13

Question for the group.... I had a chapter 7 discharged back in 1/2019 and got myself back into debt to where I may have to file a chapter 13 here.

Is there a time period required between the discharge of a ch 7 and a new ch 13 case? Is it a 4 year waiting period in order to get a ch 13 discharge after the payment plan?

Yes. To file a Chapter 13, you must wait at least 4 years from the filing of the discharged Chapter 7. You can use the Chapter 13, however, to payoff your debt in 3-5 years. The nice thing about this is that you can catch up on mortgage payments or even deal with priority tax debt. In some cases, this is known as a Chapter 20 (7 + 13) since you may not be able to discharge priority debt or deal with mortgage arrears (or car payments) with that Chapter 7.

Personally, I found that the Chapter 7 didn't work for me and I ended up in a Chapter 13 thereby creating a "theoretical" Chapter 20. However, my Chapter 13 was 6 years after my Chapter 7 filing.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X