Discharged - What BK PW to keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharged - What BK PW to keep?

I haven't posted for a bit but I was discharged on 3/19/07. My annoying attorney kept putting off meeting with me about reaffirming my mortgage and auto loan until I was discharged *sigh*

Anyway, my question is, what BK paperwork do I need to keep and what can I shred? I know I need to keep my discharge notice and the paperwork that lists all the debts that were included. Do I need to keep any of the other stuff...the debt declaration worksheets they had me complete (not the official ones that were filed, but the ones I completed and turned in to the paralegal that she used to complete the matrix), old pay stubs, statements from discharged CC's, notice of 341 meeting, credit counseling certificates, etc.

Thanks
    Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
    TU: 535

I'm saving every thing.

Our paralegal put every doc that was used for our filing into a big "file folder" before she gave our originals back to us. Petition, Discharge, bank statements, taxes, utilities bills, everything.

I'm just leaving all that stuff together and hanging onto it that way. Just in case we called for an Audit or something.

I'm gonna keep it all for at least a couple of years. That's how long the Court keeps that "black box" tape. 2 years.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I'm gonna keep it all for at least a couple of years. That's how long the Court keeps that "black box" tape. 2 yearsHmmm.. Interesting. Why do they keep it once case is discharged/closed?
      Filed 2/28/07
      341 4/4/07- DONE
      6/7/07- Discharged & CLOSED

Comment

Originally posted by newgirl View Post
        Why do they keep it once case is discharged/closed?
        One reason that comes to mind is in case something comes to light after the discharge/closing that indicates fraud or filing in bad faith so the case can be reopened with the original documentation there if needed.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will do the same.
          Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
          TU: 535

Comment

Originally posted by newgirl View Post
            Hmmm.. Interesting. Why do they keep it once case is discharged/closed?
            Because that's what the Law says the Trustee has to do. The tape recording made at the 341 has to be kept for 2 years.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Stick it with your tax records and keep it forever.

But don't worry if you loose it, your attorney is likely required to keep it for a long time. But they are allowed to charge you retrieval fees.

The court also keeps online records of most documents.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X