can my employer do that??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can my employer do that??

Is my employer notified if I file chapter 7? Also, can I be fired for claiming a BK7?

Per federal bk law, you cannot be fired simply for filing bk.

Your employer is notified directly only if you list them as a creditor in your filing. However, even if you don't, they will know it if they ever pull a credit bureau on you, or do a background check on you for any reason (many employers do this as a routine matter). In addition, bk notices are published in a local paper: it could be some tiny legal publication or it could be the main fishwrapper, but it will be publicly posted somewhere. And the case itself, as embarassing as it may feel, is public record.

So... don't be surprised if your employer finds out. But if they do, it shouldn't be a problem for you at all. Good luck!!!
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Originally posted by jessegirl View Post
      Is my employer notified if I file chapter 7? Also, can I be fired for claiming a BK7?
      I agree with daisy. They may or may not find out, but even if they do they cannot fire you just for this.
      Not only am I not a lawyer, the California BAR association has sent me numerous letters telling me not to even THINK about going to law school. In fact, the lay advice I provide is not even good. In the end remember, you get what you pay for, and here in BK land were not the best at paying.

Comment

It also depends on what it is that you do for a living. I work in the finacial arena and I had to be very proactive with notifying my compliance officer about my BK and why we are there.
        Filed Chapter 13 05/23/08
        Converted to Chapter 7 Jan 2012
        Discharged April 2012

Comment

Oh man. I pray no one from work finds out....

Comment

I just opened a job application form online for my husband - and it asked if you had ever filed bankruptcy! Is that legal? Or do smaller employers get away with that?
            Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
            341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
            Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
            Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by PoorGrammyinBK7 View Post
              I just opened a job application form online for my husband - and it asked if you had ever filed bankruptcy! Is that legal? Or do smaller employers get away with that?
              Yes it is legal - just as they can ask you if you were ever arrested. Don't answer no if you filed because they can easily search it (as arrests) as it is public information. Most employers in today's world run criminal and credit background checks and the best thing to do in a BK situation is to be honest about it. They cannot ask you any questions that could be discriminatory (i.e., your race, your religion).

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

You employer will not learn about your Chapter 7 unless they (1) saw it listed in your paper, as many BKs are published, (2) you tell them, or (3) they find out from someone else who knows you filed. If you have an employment contract with your employer, many list clauses indicating that if you file bankruptcy during your employment, you must inform the employer. That is usually for those higher on the ladder. You cannot be fired for filing BK during your employment.

Comment

Where do they post it in the newspaper? Ya know its funny that they can post personal stuff like that but you cannot get your spouses medical information, or talk to a creditor without there written consent. ...WOW..

Comment

Where do they post it in the newspaper? Ya know its funny that they can post personal stuff like that but you cannot get your spouses medical information, or talk to a creditor without there written consent. ...WOW..

It depends on the newspaper...in our major newspaper which covers most of the state, BK's are listed in the Business Section every Monday right in the same area as all the stock and other business information. They list the type of Chapter filed, names of filer(s), amount of assets and amount of debt in the filing. They also list the town/city in which the filer(s) reside; no street address.

Comment

It depends on your job. If you work for a bank or some company that requires high security clearance, they can find out.

Comment

Listing your employer as a creditor

From what I've read, one's employer can't fire someone for filing for bankruptcy. What I'm wondering is if this law extends to people who have to list their employer as a creditor in their petition. Does anyone know how that works?

Comment

But, if your like me, every job I have applied for I was asked if I could "PASS" a credit check. Well coach, if I can swallow it, I can "PASS" it. We should invent a secret handshake so we can recognize eachother in the unemployment line......

Comment

they post it under "special notices" in our local newspaper....this section has become quite large...

it is public information so they are allowed to post it.... anyone can find out.

but you shouldnt ever be fired because of a bk
                            Don't take my word for it, I'm just sayin'

Comment

Folks you shouldn't necro 1 year old threads.

You cannot be fired for filing bankruptcy, however many states today have right to work laws wherein you can basically be fired at will by employer, so if they want to fire you they'll find a reason other than bankruptcy. Not want you to be afraid but it is the reality.

If your employer is also a creditor I suppose it could affect future promotions etc, but they still can't fire you solely for the bankruptcy. If you are required to be bonded though and the firm your company uses now refuses to bond you then you could be moved to another position etc where it is not require or let go because you cannot meet the bonding requirement.

If asked if you could pass a credit check, it is best to just go ahead and mention that you had a bankruptcy on xxx date. Then explain why you had to file the bankruptcy. Far better you tell them face to face then they find out when they pull your credit report and then just draw their own conclusions.
                              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X