Filed yesterday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed yesterday!

Just saying hello and letting everyone know that I filed yesterday! I had my first lawyer meeting back in mid-March, so it's been a month and a half long process to get everything ready and all done. Really wasn't much work for me, though. I just filled out the big paperwork packet and the lawyer (really his assistant) took care of the rest. They called me every now and then for additional information, but overall, the process hasn't been so bad.

The actually filing yesterday was like a loan closing, signing all the documents. The lawyer (who is also a trustee by the way) says we shouldn't have any problems. We are well below the median and are also reaffirming our house and one car payment. We are not losing anything but $30,000 credit card debt and a few medical bills by filing, so for me it has been a fairly pain-free process.

I hate that I'm killing my credit- I'm one of those who always had a high credit score and always paid my bills on time. It was really weird taking calls this last month (April was the first month I defaulted on credit cards). I don't know how some of you put up with those calls for months or years on end! I had a cell phone and could easily turn the ringer off if need be but sometimes I did answer and talk to them. They were always so nice and friendly- it actually made me feel guilty! I would have felt better if they were mean and hostile, lol! They all tried to work deals out with me and apologized for my situation, yada yada. I felt guilty after hanging up but my hubby reminded me that this is the best thing for us. Part of me still feels that it is wrong to borrow money and not pay it back, so I guess I'll just have to deal with that. But it feels better to know that I am starting over and will never, barring some tragedy, be in this situation again.

Sorry for the story- just thought I'd post in case someone out there had questions! Hope everyone is well!
    Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
    341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
    Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

Good for you!

Don't stress about the credit thing too much. It is best to learn to live without credit, and BK is the best "teacher". Cuz ya really can't get much after filing anyway!

Hope you have a smooth ride to discharge.

DD

Comment

Well you've taken the first major step

Good luck
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X