Would this bapcpa decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this bapcpa decision

in chapter 13 case apply to chapter 7 regarding 401k contributions and loan repayments.I have heard some say you can include these to reduce income and some say you cant.Thinking about filing and would file in this district.Thanks

No your 401K repayment is paying yourself back.
    Chapter 7 07/30/2008
    341 09/17/2008
    Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by kcdawg1 View Post
      in chapter 13 case apply to chapter 7 regarding 401k contributions and loan repayments.I have heard some say you can include these to reduce income and some say you cant.Thinking about filing and would file in this district.Thanks
      The truth is that the BAPCPA states that contributions are "not disposable income". This has been reviewed (at the appellate level) in many circuits and they agree that contributions are not disposable income. The language is quite clear in the BAPCPA amended portion of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. (11 USC 541)

Similarly, the repayments of loans were also protected under the BAPCPA of 2005. These are protected due to language in 11 USC 1322 which covers the Plan. Basically, the Plan can't alter the repayment of the loan, hence the loan is covered. It is also not property of the estate and does not constitute disposable income (per 11 USC 1322), when it comes to Chapter 13 Plans.

Since you seem to be filing Chapter 7 (implied by posting in the Chapter 7 area of the Forum), your loan repayments are indeed property of the bankruptcy Estate. The section mentioned about is for Chapter 13 cases and not Chapter 7 cases.

Also, you mention a "decision" but do not actually post a link or reference. I also can't tell which District you are filing in.
      Last edited by justbroke; 05-23-2009, 07:14 PM.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

In My original consultation with a very experienced Attorney I was told Ch-13 due to income, and 401K loan payback is not included as an expense to try and qualify for a Ch-7. Where it does come into play and help, is in Ch-13 it is included as a budget expense, and will affect the amount (% Payback) going to pay unsecured debt. Since I have a very high loan payment ($800 a month), my payback would have been below 10%.
        Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Sorry here's the link

Comment

As I mentioned above, that only applies in a Chapter 13 case. The opinion and ruling that you have posted is for a Chapter 13 case.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I know it's

for a 13,i was just wondering would that apply to a 7 also

Comment

Originally posted by kcdawg1 View Post
                for a 13,i was just wondering would that apply to a 7 also
                As I wrote above... not all of it applies to a Chapter 7. I thought it was clear, but let me make is shorter...

A 401(k) contribution is not "disposable income" for purposes of the means test in both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13. (11 USC 541) However, you can't exclude it from your "income" (CMI) calculation.

A 401(k) loan repayment is not "disposable income" for the purposes of calculating the Disposable Monthly Income (DMI) for a Chapter 13 plan. (11 USC 1322) This does not apply in a Chapter 7, so repayments are not expenses which are excluded.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X