top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claim alcohol and cigarette expenditures on Schedule J?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claim alcohol and cigarette expenditures on Schedule J?

If someone is an alcoholic and chainsmoker and spends hundreds of dollars a month on these vices--does that have to be declared in Schedule J?

IDK but I'm curious to the answer. My FIL is a serious chainsmoker. He and MIL spend $500 per month on cigarettes. That stuff is so expensive!
    4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
    5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
    7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
    7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I too would like to hear this. It will make a big difference for me. I was already trying to imagine how I was going to quit drinking and smoking.

P.S. Make your own cigarettes, it's a LOT cheaper. They sell empty cigarette tubes, loose tobacco and machines that push the tobacco into the tubes.

I can make 2.5 cartons of cigs for about $26.
      Filed 11/24/09, Riding Through Mortgage
      341 on 1/11/10 (easy), Confirmed 4/26/10
      $150 for 36 months (22 of 36 made)

Comment

Same as gambling... It's a type of addiction. (i.e., alcoholic, gambling, or smoking, etc.) --uncontrollable behavior??--

Asking Trustee to include $$ spent on smoking + drinking is just like also asking him on spare dollar coins for spinning... a Vegas Wheel-of-Fortune!!

Comment

Originally posted by markdel16 View Post
          I too would like to hear this. It will make a big difference for me. I was already trying to imagine how I was going to quit drinking and smoking.

P.S. Make your own cigarettes, it's a LOT cheaper. They sell empty cigarette tubes, loose tobacco and machines that push the tobacco into the tubes.

Wow that is cheap! I need to tell FIL about that.
          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey View Post
            If someone is an alcoholic and chainsmoker and spends hundreds of dollars a month on these vices--does that have to be declared in Schedule J?
            I have heard of several others on this thread mention a tobacco expense, so I think that would be reasonable. Worst case scenario, they throw it out, so make sure your Sched J has plenty of wiggle room. Dunno about the booze, I think that is an entertainment expense
            Filed Ch 7 11/28/09 | 341 1/7/10 | Last Date for Objections 3/8/10 | Discharged 3/10/10

Comment

Originally posted by markdel16 View Post

Don't do this before filing...you want the higher expense receipts to prove if necessary...
              Filed Ch 7 11/28/09 | 341 1/7/10 | Last Date for Objections 3/8/10 | Discharged 3/10/10

Comment

Originally posted by DustinLH00 View Post
                Don't do this before filing...you want the higher expense receipts to prove if necessary...
                No choice, my wife and I both smoke, and if I had to pay full price for them, I wouldn't have enough money to smoke (yea I know, we need to quit). Since I stopped paying all my cards, I have $0 left every month, which is why I'm fearing getting pushed into a 13 just because I'm about 3k over median.
                Filed 11/24/09, Riding Through Mortgage
                341 on 1/11/10 (easy), Confirmed 4/26/10
                $150 for 36 months (22 of 36 made)

Comment

This might help...

CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
                  341 Meeting 4/7/2009
                  Discharged 7/10/2009
                  Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
                    Same as gambling... It's a type of addiction. (i.e., alcoholic, gambling, or smoking, etc.) --uncontrollable behavior??--

Asking Trustee to include $$ spent on smoking + drinking is just like also asking him on spare dollar coins for spinning... a Vegas Wheel-of-Fortune!!

I was actually wanting to know if NOT disclosing those signficant expenditures on Schedule J would be a problem?

Comment

I honestly don't think you can use Alcohol and Cigarettes as a legitimate expense in a BK petition.

There are some Trustees who scrutinize Tithing to a church and limit the amount you can use as an expense or means test expense.

Not trying to be mean or judgemental, but do you really think a judge or TT is going to allow you to deduct/use these kind of expenses?

Honestly, I wouldn't even attempt it, why would you want to cause the TT to look more carefully at your expenses than they already do.

If you try to use these, they may be prone to being more thorough and challenge some of your expenses.

Well I just read the other thread posted above about some districts allowing ciggys as an expense. I still wouldn't want that on my petitions, which are public record and have the TT give me crap for it-but just my opinion.
                      Last edited by dingdong; 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM. Reason: read another post, maybe I am wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                        I was actually wanting to know if NOT disclosing those signficant expenditures on Schedule J would be a problem?
                        You don't have to include them.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
                          There are some Trustees who scrutinize Tithing to a church and limit the amount you can use as an expense or means test expense.
                          I can't wait to meet one of the Trustees, as they are in for a battle with me. The Bankruptcy Code is VERY clear on this and they went so far to say, in 11 USC 707... "the court may not take into consideration whether a debtor has made, or continues to make, charitable contributions... to any qualified religious or charitable entity or organization".

I would quite simply ask them what that paragraph means. So long as it's in the IRS limits, 15% of gross, they have nothing to stand on.

Sure, they can say... wow, that's alot (I have $435/month to contributions)... but I'll say... don't you give? What they can't do, is in any way pressure you to decrease that amount at all. Even if you have negative disposable income. Even if removing that contribution would give you a disposable income over $182.50 (see 11 USC 707(b)(1)).

Now cigarettes and other vices... that's a different story. i see nothing in the code given them an exclusive exemption from any means test or abuse test calculation.
                          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I put 160 per month as cigarette expense on my means. Actually my lawyer asked if i smoked so we could include it to lower disp income number. Which i spend about $40 per week on smokes. I suppose its a legit expense. I wouldnt put $500 and the trustee not to cut that down.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                              O Cupcake! You put my name in the newspaper!

That was quite a discussion. Guess I need to add that ? to my list for Attorney.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X