top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK lawyer in CHICAGO? Any input/advice appreciated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK lawyer in CHICAGO? Any input/advice appreciated...

Hi all! I've been "stalking" this forum for about a month now, and I can't believe how much I've learned already. (Thank you!!!)... At this point, though, I'm afraid of spending the next YEAR poring over these threads and never getting my butt into an attorney's office!

There are just soooo many BK lawyers in Chicago; I have no idea where to start. My case should be fairly straightforward (lost my job 5 months ago; broke; $50K in unsecured CC debt; don't own a home), but I still need/want a lawyer who knows his/her stuff... and is responsive.

Any suggestions (here or by private message) would be MOST appreciated!

Thank you.

Man, you are asking for a LOT! A lawyer who is responsive??? Get real.

Anyway, don't use "stalking" as I have a bit of a bad legal problem with that idea. Lurking would be acceptable.

No, we cannot tell you of any recommendations of course, it is against Forum rules for legal reasons. My suggestion is at least get THREE appointments to talk to one as close and as convenient to you as possible. Cook County Courthouse will not be pleasant or cheap to park near so I would ride the "EL" in if you can. (I'm in FL, but know Chitown).

Do not pay full amount up front is my personal advice. You just may not fall into that 'bit bucket' if he knows you owe him. If he won't take payments, go on to one who will but tell him that. Best to you, and welcome. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yep, don't pay them all up front is a good idea.
      They will be a lot more responsive if you don't.

Comment

Hey KS, feels good to be in a new life doesn't it? CCC, please get back to us after your lawyer is found and let us all know what you learned. In the meantime, read the "stickies" all over the C7 forum and ask all the questions you wish (after the stickies). 'Hub and again, welcome. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I would go thru the phone book & contact every attorney in your area and feel them out with questions that you know the correct answers to according to the law. if they have to go look up the answer or they act short with you, forget it. Know your own case forward & backward before looking.

Check your PM

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
            Yep, don't pay them all up front is a good idea.
            They will be a lot more responsive if you don't.
            Yep.

And that also lets them work with you on a good time to file before full payment is made. A good one will usually take half down and work with you on the rest. Quick to reply but not rushing you into the process just for payment.

Comment

Wow -thanks so much for the info, guys (and the for the PM, bandit!) The whole "payment" issue was still a big ? for me, so it's nice to have some idea of what to expect. And it never would've occurred to me that setting up a payment plan (vs. paying in-full upfront) could also work as a ploy to keep your lawyer's attention... 'Doh! Makes perfect sense.

Angelina/'Hub: I'm ALL about riding the "el" these days... Do u know what they're charging for parking downtown now?! With all that $$ coming in, our streets should be paved in GOLD. (But I suppose potholes are more "character-building.")

I'll definitely report back after I talk to a few lawyers/make a decision. Thanks again!!

Comment

Hi Cara: no, I have no idea what the el might charge. You should be able to find that on the Internet.

I would like to add my advice on picking attorneys. One poster had this suggestion:

Call the clerk of your local BK court and ask for a list of recommendations. The rationale is that the clerks know all of the attorneys in the district--they deal with them on a daily basis. The clerks know which ones are prepared and have a minimal amount of changes, that the clerks have to process. Also, they know which ones are ill-prepared, are late, are ill-tempered, and have the have the most modifications.

You will get a list of the attorneys that the BK clerks LIKE to deal with.

Good luck to you!!
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Hi 'Hub! Actually, I was making a (little) joke about the cost of PARKING (a car) downtown. I'm ACTUALLY quite familiar with the el. (It's $2.25 a ride.)

But thank you for your take on the value of BK clerks' opinions!

Comment

angelinacat, i think you'd be very lucky if a clerk actually recommended a lawyer. they are really not supposed to give attorney referrals except to send you to the bar association referral service.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X