Frequent Flier Miles tied to CC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent Flier Miles tied to CC?

So got my 1st delinquent card call today. Now this card is tied in to my frequent flier miles, I think I got 25000 miles joining and another 5000 miles after a certain amount of purchases. That make 30,000 miles this card has contributed to my frequent flier miles (I have over 80,000 miles).

Will these miles disappear once I file Ch7? Would using them now to visit family raise a red flag? I was hoping to save them for the future use next year.

Advice and thoughts appreciated.

I had an AMEX card with points and when I stopped paying those "cash points" disappeared I wish I would have thought to pull them out/cash them out BEFORE I got into trouble
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

at this point i have to admit, cashing in those miles would be the last concern on my mind, just me

Comment

Will using them up cause me any trouble? I have a friend I can visit in Hawaii and would like to visit my family. Will the usage affect my time lines?

Thanks

Comment

Most banks won't honor rewards redemptions when you are past due.
          Filed 10/8/09
          341 11/2/09
          Last Day For Objections 1/4/10
          Discharged 1/5/10

Comment

use them right now or lose them
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

There's nothing wrong with attempting to use points or miles that you have earned. These points aren't credited to your account unless you pay on time anyway, therefore, the ones in your account, you have earned according to the terms and conditions.
              I pulled all my Amex points out - transferred a bunch into a Continental Airlines Onepass account to use at a later time, and purchased gift cards with the remaining. I had practically a million points and I made the transactions after I missed my first payment. Granted, I don't believe I waited until the official 30 day late mark. I pulled everything after I was a few days late and knew there was no turning back.

These are your earned points to use - but pull them quickly before you are official in default. If you don't want to take a trip now, just dump them into your frequent flyer account. Most cards offer that, as far as I know.

Comment

These were placed into my United Airlines Frequent Flier Program when I started the card, and when I used it a certain amount. So they are in United Mileage Plus account (I don't think tied to my CC) and I was just am concerned that once my card is no more, that 30,000 of my miles might disappear. The card is called a United Mileage Plus card

I have no plans to do any trips right now anyways and have bigger priorities, ...just curious. I know this is small potatoes in the whole scheme of things. I guess I'll find out in due course.

Comment

If they are already in the united system I think you're in the clear
                  Filed Chapter 7 7/24/2009
                  UST Has Questions :unsure: 08/11/2009
                  341 Completed !!! 9/1/2009 :clapping:
                  DISCHARGED 11/10/2009 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I made the mistake of not using all of the miles and perks too.
                    My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                    posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

If it's the United branded card into the United program, the card company can definitely "recall" the miles.

They may not, but the definitely can.

See if you can transfer the miles elsewhere (into another program, to a family member) or purchase a ticket or gift certificate with them.

Or, tick the option to donate the miles to a charity.

I lost a lot of miles and points the first month I went delinquent. It's a shame because at a minimum one of the charities could have gotten some benefit for them.

Comment

We have over 325,000 miles in our American Airlines Advantage account earned from a Citibank cc. My BK attorney said to list the miles as an asset. I went to the AAdvantage website and it states "the flyer miles can not be sold". Therefore, although they are listed as an asset, they were considered of no value in the BK to the Trustee. I checked today and the miles are still listed as active.
                        Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
                        341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
                        Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
                        Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

Bump..any new updates?
                          Ch. 13
                          5 payments down, 55 to go

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                            use them right now or lose them
                            The advice is still good. No need to update.
                            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

A few days after my 341 my frequent flier miles were still there (all credit accounts were closed) so I booked a flight. Mine were with United, which is tied to Chase. No one came after me about them and I am discharged now. Guess I got lucky!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X