inheritance question about that sort of thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inheritance question about that sort of thing

In our meeting they mentioned that certain funds could be taken in 180 days and one was inheritance. Is the 180 days from filing or from discharge, does anyone know??

That clock runs from the date you file. It includes inheritance, lottery, any large windfall. If you get one at 181 days after your filing, it is ALL YOURS

BooBoo

Comment

The words windfall or lottery don't appear anywhere in the bk code.

Here is all the code says about property of the estate that a debtor acquires within 180 days of filing.

Comment

Originally posted by booboo View Post
        That clock runs from the date you file. It includes inheritance, lottery, any large windfall. If you get one at 181 days after your filing, it is ALL YOURS
        Sorry to correct you, but it's a minor correction. It does not include lottery and doesn't include windfalls. The Bankruptcy Code (Title 11) includes 3 very specific cases which all have to do with inheritance, insurance proceeds from demise, or by marriage dissolution.

In your defense, I will say that winning the lottery right after filing can affect your case. The Trustee could move to dismiss your case but can not take the lottery or windfall proceeds. This is a very important distinction. I can explain more if someone wants to hear more.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Great information, I am just one of those people who lives for over loads of info.. lol Things just come to mind and I have to know! I will never be rich, so it doesn't matter, but it was interesting to learn about!

Comment

Planning to gun down a rich uncle?
            11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
            12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

lol.... at my age my rich uncles have been gone for a while.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X