***pls dont use freecourtdocuments for status check ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***pls dont use freecourtdocuments for status check ***

Just to forewarn everyone...i requested an invitation code from this free site that gives us an update of pacer. Did not know at that time... that by asking an invitation we r giving them access to our bk docket from pacer and once u retrieve this docket from their site..GUESS WHAT >>>

UR ENTIRE FILE SHOWS UP ON GOOGLE NAME SEARCH........YES I"M NOT KIDDING...

happened to me and two others i know...so IF U WANT UR BK INFO TO BE PRIVATE PLS DONT USE FREE LINKS TO ACCESS PACER DOCUMENTS..

Not sure if access of ur docket thru pacer will lead to a similar situvation...but I DONT INTEND TO FIND OUT

Just a headsup for those who dont want their info displayed to everyone on a public domain..speciallyfor potential job seekers who i'm sure will run ur name on google...

JOHNY
    c7 nov 06 2009

341 - dec 16 2009

Please don't post the same thing in multiple sections of the Forum.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

No worries. Someone else posted about the same thing. Your posting is much more "visible" though!
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Make this a sticky?

This seems pretty important. I almost created an account on freecourtdocuments, but I am so glad I didn't. If this public access is irreversible, then people here should be made aware of it.

Comment

There are a couple of sites that offer free access to court dockets, but if you accept the terms of condition of those sites, you are giving the sites permission to tag your info for google crawls. Pacer is not tagged for google or google search enabled. These sites are. Once you look up your info on these sites, your info will be tagged for google search and available to anyone who types in your name on Google.

If you do not join these sites, then someone would have to look up your case in pacer, or would have to pay about $20 to see your info in one of the big online datamines.

It's only about a $20 difference, but some people won't pay that $20, so your info is still more private when you do not join these free sites.
          Last edited by backtoschool; 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM. Reason: typos
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I'm unsure that this needs to be a sticky. I believe that people need to actually read the Terms & Conditions of what they are signing up for. When I went to that site months ago (when it was being "pushed" here by its creator), I discovered their little disclaimer that they'd store all your documents for "public use".

That is specifically why I never signed up for it. Plus, I don't like any site that is littered with advertising in the manner that site it littered.

The prior thread on this topic is here. (https://www.bkforum.com/node/45969)

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              I'm unsure that this needs to be a sticky. I believe that people need to actually read the Terms & Conditions of what they are signing up for. When I went to that site months ago (when it was being "pushed" here by its creator), I discovered their little disclaimer that they'd store all your documents for "public use".

That is specifically why I never signed up for it. Plus, I don't like any site that is littered with advertising in the manner that site it littered.
              Yes, I remember when the site was being promoted, and I warned about the Google crawls then, and you did too. Online nothing is free. If you are getting free information from a site, rest assured that they are making more money by giving you that little bit of free info and then selling YOUR info to someone else, than they would make if they charged you directly for the info.

Pacer is 8 cents a page. Most queries are one page. You get 10 dollars a quarter of free queries. You also can check to see if there are any updates to your docket for free. There is really no need to use the free sites. If you are not too compulsive about it, Pacer will end up being free anyway.
              Last edited by backtoschool; 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM. Reason: typos
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                Yes, I remember when the site was being promoted, and I warned about the Google crawls then, and you did too. Online nothing is free. If you are getting free information from a site, rest assured that they are making more money by giving you that little bit of free info and then selling YOUR info to someone else, then they would make if they charged you directly for the info.

Pacer is 8 cents a page. Most queries are one page. You get 10 dollars a quarter of free queries. You also can check to see if there are any updates to your docket for free. There is really no need to use the free sites. If you are not too compulsive about it, Pacer will end up being free anyway.
                I totally agree that pacer is absolutely worth it (as opposed to the free sites). I think I've spent $3.00 in pacer so far (because I've been very careful what I've looked at).
                I guess I was just thinking that it would be very easy for someone to sign up for that free site without realizing that a google search of their name could reveal their bankruptcy which could be very embarrassing and/or detrimental to future jobs, especially since a Google search could still turn it up forever (not like credit reports where it won't show up after 10 years).
                I have to admit that I rarely read the entire terms and agreements when I install software. I would guess that less than 1% of people do. But I did heed the warnings that were given here (and appreciate them too).

Comment

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I also signed on with Pacer and have been pleased with it up until now. We had a hearing yesterday and nothing has updated on Pacer-no minutes, no adjourment, no continuances, nothing. Maybe computers are down in our district but I am dying to find the outcome of this hearing. I saw somewhere on this forum that there is an 800 number you can call to get updates on your case. Does anyone know this number and is it more current than Pacer? Thanks.

Comment

i do think this should be a sticky! i never signed up for free sites only because i saw a different one, "recap", where i saw an actual explanation that said they keep any document you view for other viewers as well. once i saw that, i decided not to look anywhere but pacer. i don't know if the terms and conditions for these free sites are clear enough, and i think a big disclaimer here as a sticky would be a very, very good idea: even if it saves one forum-reader from unnecessary embarrassment, it is worth it. not everybody reads and/or understand these types of terms and conditions, and they really should not end up paying for it. jmho.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by Kingxray View Post
                      Don't mean to hijack the thread but I also signed on with Pacer and have been pleased with it up until now. We had a hearing yesterday and nothing has updated on Pacer-no minutes, no adjourment, no continuances, nothing. Maybe computers are down in our district but I am dying to find the outcome of this hearing. I saw somewhere on this forum that there is an 800 number you can call to get updates on your case. Does anyone know this number and is it more current than Pacer? Thanks.
                      Depending on where you are, PACER can take up to 24 hours or a little more to update. As I advised someone else with a similar question yesterday, we are entering the Holiday Season, where people are taking time off. Tomorrow is Friday, and in my opinion is the last chance that we will see that actual real work is done before Monday, January 4, 2010.

Good luck to you!
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Look, all you have to do to get a free copy of all your court notices is file a request for notices with the court. You can request notices by email or by mail. You'll get a copy of everthing filed in your case.
                        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I suppose there is no way to remove these from google for everyone? Time as long as you don't use freecreditdocs again, will make it move out a long ways of course, but is there any other way?

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
                            I suppose there is no way to remove these from google for everyone? Time as long as you don't use freecreditdocs again, will make it move out a long ways of course, but is there any other way?
                            No. So long as that site stays up and the information is "crawl-able"... it will remain so long as Google, Yahoo!, Bing and any other global search engine, continues to serve up global searches.

I can find old things I posted when I was at a New England college back in the 1990s. It just won't go away! Glad I didn't post anything stupid.

Comment

It does appear to move back in order though. The first day I went into google I notice it was on page one, now it is page two if when you refine the search. But then the names are not something we post ever, and we have common names so they show up with a variety of spellings, both first and last names are so common that google is full of them. I hope that helps, but what is done is done, and I am sorry for everyone else too that are on google now. These sites need to be shut down if they continuet to spew out private information. I know they are hiding behind the "public" knowledge clause, but those laws were in effect decades ago, the electronic age should adjust.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X