Will Trustee Force me to File for Social Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Trustee Force me to File for Social Security

To increase disposable income? I just became eligible to file (but do not want to). I wondered if this could come up in the 341..about why I have not filed for SS to supplement my meagre unemployment income. I live in a state where I can collect both (unemployment and social security) with no penalty. Thank you.

think about it this way: do you think the Trustee can force you to go out and get a certain job? -- Same thing here. Short answer: no.

Comment

Besides, many people wait to actually start collecting from SS because your monthly benefit increases, the longer you wait.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

SS is not counted for BK purposes. In my district the UST says don't even put it on the means test.
        7-2-2009 Filed
        8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
        10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone. Like many who are contemplating Ch. 7, I am probably over-thinking things. I do not want to file 'early' because the amount I would get in 'early retirement' is laughable. Come to think of it, it's probably going to be laughable at full retirement age too (66), but at least should be improved somewhat by earnings in the next four years.

Comment

Originally posted by whipster1 View Post
            SS is not counted for BK purposes. In my district the UST says don't even put it on the means test.
            I know it's not to be included on the means test (you have the option of counting unemployment as a Social Security benefit on that test too, I forget on what line you can park whatever amount you get off to the side), but SS would be included on a Schedule I as income, correct? I think they would include that IF you were collecting SS at the time you filed. Is this correct?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X