Winning Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winning Money

If someone was between their 341 meeting and Feb. 15 was the last day for objections and that person was to win $5000 from a slot machine last night, would they have to report that to anyone, trustee, own attorney, etc..? There is a 1099, and it will have to be reported on 2010s tax return.

Chapter 7 No Assets

thanks

No. They do not need to report any windfall, unless it's related to an inheritance or insurance policy as part of a death benefit, or due to a dissolution of marriage causing dissipation of property.

Remember, your Chapter 7 bankruptcy estate is set on the day you file. Anything that occurs after that -- with the exception of the death related items and divorce I mentioned above -- are not part of that estate and are outside the reach of the Trustee.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hey! Congratulations on your win!
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        No. They do not need to report any windfall, unless it's related to an inheritance or insurance policy as part of a death benefit, or due to a dissolution of marriage causing dissipation of property.

Remember, your Chapter 7 bankruptcy estate is set on the day you file. Anything that occurs after that -- with the exception of the death related items and divorce I mentioned above -- are not part of that estate and are outside the reach of the Trustee.
        Sweet thanks, I've been sitting here staring at this cash all morning, trying to decide whether to call my attorney or not... In the bank it goes

Comment

Originally posted by thebeachbum View Post
          Sweet thanks, I've been sitting here staring at this cash all morning, trying to decide whether to call my attorney or not... In the bank it goes
          You can always call your attorney to verify.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeachbum View Post
            Just because I am paranoid, I might put it under my mattress rather than the Bank.
            Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
            Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
            341 - 2/12/2010
            Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

Not an issue, money you win after the case is filed is beyond your BK.

In the lottery scenario, if you purchased the ticket before the BK was filed, the winnings would go to the BK, if you purchased the ticket after the BK was filed, the debtor keeps the winnings. So long as you did not use "estate" property to gamble (and let's be candid for a second, exactly why are you gambling in the middle of an active BK?), then you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                (and let's be candid for a second, exactly why are you gambling in the middle of an active BK?)
                I wasn't gambling I was drinking, I work in Atlantic City, I usually go for a cocktail with some of my friends on my "Friday", they wanted to play the slots and drink for free so instead of tossing $40 bucks on the bar I tossed $40 into a slot machine. In a sense it's part of my budgeted entertainment expense.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X