top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can creditors report late payments after my filing date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can creditors report late payments after my filing date?

Can creditors report late payments after my filing date? I filed for bankruptcy in November and creditors are reporting late payments in December and January? Is this legal?

They are not supposed to, but BOA did it to me. I have disputed 3 times with Experian and they refuse to change it claiming it was verified.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Creditors can list late payments/charge offs prior to your filing date but after your filing date they cannot list late payments / charge offs. Those items need to be disputed and since you have already done that, you will need to contact the creditor directly to have that changed and copy the CRA on that letter. It may take time but you will get it resolved.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        Creditors can list late payments/charge offs prior to your filing date but after your filing date they cannot list late payments / charge offs. Those items need to be disputed and since you have already done that, you will need to contact the creditor directly to have that changed and copy the CRA on that letter. It may take time but you will get it resolved.

I filed for BK in November and nobody reported any late payments. By December everything said included in bankruptcy. After I was discharged on Feb 15th then everyone reported December and January late payments. Can they do that? I have dipsuted it 2 times and both times they said that the information was correct.

Comment

Did you file pro se or use a lawyer?

Best,
          ResearchMode
          A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL in the process of filing CH7 and blogging about it. (link removed)
          Last edited by Flamingo; 03-10-2010, 03:26 AM. Reason: Personal Link removed
          A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

i used a lawyer...why do you ask and what does that change?

Comment

Oh dear. I thought the attorney took care of all this stuff. Will this be more stuff for me to worry about? I think I feel a headache coming on.

Comment

They are not opposed to report late payments after the filing. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks after the filing for creditors to be notified. But if you're filing bankruptcy it really doesn't matter because all of that is going to change to zero balance and bankruptcy. I wouldn't worry about my credit and the way it's being reported at this time. I would work to change my habits and build my credit from here on out.

Comment

I ask because if it ends up becoming a big issue, you already have a relationship with a lawyer who knows about bankruptcy and can answer those questions for you and possibly help.
                  A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

A BK attorney handles BK. His/her work is done when the BK has been closed. Most don't assist with post-BK credit reporting issues.

I, too, have some interesting issues with my CR (including late payments that were never late). I'm two months post-discharge and I've filed disputes. My first round of disputes yielded mixed results. I'm on round two awaiting responses. I verbally contacted one of my secured creditors to inquire and substantiate my claims. Should my current disputes return incorrect, my direct mailing campaign will commence. It's a tedious process which requires patience and perseverance.
                    *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

Originally posted by HakunaMatata View Post
                      A BK attorney handles BK. His/her work is done when the BK has been closed. Most don't assist with post-BK credit reporting issues.

I, too, have some interesting issues with my CR (including late payments that were never late). I'm two months post-discharge and I've filed disputes. My first round of disputes yielded mixed results. I'm on round two awaiting responses. I verbally contacted one of my secured creditors to inquire and substantiate my claims. Should my current disputes return incorrect, my direct mailing campaign will commence. It's a tedious process which requires patience and perseverance.
                      I suppose it's true that most don't assist with this. I guess I'm lucky. My attorney made it very clear that I was to report any such violations to him and he will pursue it at no cost to me. Additionally, I'm supposed to pull all three credit reports 60 days post discharge and make an appointment with him to review to ensure they are reporting correctly. Again, no additional fee.
                      Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X