How Soon After Filing are we on Google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Soon After Filing are we on Google?

Well, that's just dandy. Filing AND scrambling to find work. As we all know, the first thing anyone is going to do when they see my applications is to google my name. So how soon will it show up online? I can always claim it's someone else, not me!!

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
    Well, that's just dandy. Filing AND scrambling to find work. As we all know, the first thing anyone is going to do when they see my applications is to google my name. So how soon will it show up online? I can always claim it's someone else, not me!!
    It depends, but I find it irritating when prospective employers screen for applicants and find out they have BKed and then they drop them like hot potatoes
    Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
    Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

The Bk filing doesn't auto end up on goog. It only ends up there if the filing is published in a newspaper, then the newspaper article is linked, not the actual Bk filing from the Court.

The actual Bk info has value and is sold as subscription info to creditors and others wanting to mkt products to you, so the info isn't out for free unless it is from a news publication. Most areas do not publish the info in a free newspaper so you aren;t likely to find your Bk via a free search. Now if employer does background check, those services will include pacer or other resources that reference the filing.

Comment

Oh, someone else said they were on Google, so I thought winding up there was a given. Maybe not. Encouraging. Thanks!

Originally posted by Mensa1 View Post
        The Bk filing doesn't auto end up on goog. It only ends up there if the filing is published in a newspaper, then the newspaper article is linked, not the actual Bk filing from the Court.

The actual Bk info has value and is sold as subscription info to creditors and others wanting to mkt products to you, so the info isn't out for free unless it is from a news publication. Most areas do not publish the info in a free newspaper so you aren;t likely to find your Bk via a free search. Now if employer does background check, those services will include pacer or other resources that reference the filing.

Comment

I'm not on Google. But I show up on stupid Bing!

Comment

Don't google yourself and include Bankruptcy in the search. The way I understand it the search engines will remember and start looking, the more you search, the higher the chance of something coming back.

Comment

depends what kind of last name you have. If it very common, you may never find it up there
              Filed Aug 28 2009
              341 Oct 2 2009-Asset Case
              Discharged Dec 16 2009
              Waiting for tax return and asset buy back to close

Comment

It doesn't matter if you are on Google or not. If your prospective employer does a credit check as part of a pre-employment background check, it will absolutely show up that you've BK'd.

Don't be too afraid. I got a job (and my BK was found in the credit check because I got notified by mail) but they hired me anyway - 2 weeks after I had my 341. Just be a good candidate, be honest and keep thinking positive thoughts about a wonderful future. It IS possible!
                11/09 - Ran out of money - 1/4/10 - Filed Chapter 7 (Pro-Se) - 2/16/10 - 341 Meeting -6/17/10 - Reaffirmation hearing (auto) - DISCHARGED 7/6/10m CLOSED 7/26/10

Comment

The down-low on BK and search engines.

1. PACER is not indexed by search engines, so the fact that you filed BK must come from some other source.
                  2. Whether your BK will show up depends on your web presence in general. If you have a fairly active presence (Facebook, Myspace etc)., the BK, if it is there, will not likely show up in top results.

How can your BK end up on google
                  a. as was previously mentioned; if a newspaper publishes a list of BK filings, the online version of that paper can be indexed.
                  b. Some district court websites will post the court dockets online. This is how many Chapter 13 filers get on internet search engines, because the confirmation hearing is an actual court hearing and is docketed. The docket entires can be found on search engines.
                  c. Some courts may publish the 341 schedule (rare, but I have heard of it), again, once the schedule is published, it can be found by search engines
                  d. If you decided to use one of those "free PACER" type sites; once you pull your case, it ends up on that sites indexable database.

Also, if you are searching your own name, realize that your BK would come up higher in the results (if its there at all) because you visit sites like this BK forum. Google looks at your web history to rank its listings on your search results.

It is still rare for a debtor's BK to end up in a google search of their name, but it can happen. It is more possible with chapter 13's. In the end, I wouldn't worry about it, the fact that you filed BK will generally not come up in some random search.
                  Last edited by HHM; 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you to all. I don't believe I have ever googled my own name in connection with keyword "bankruptcy". I have googled my own name, but only a few times. I don't have a web presence of any note. Should be OK.

Comment

You don't have to type in "bankruptcy" with your name to search. If your name is out there on the internet that you filed, all you have to do is type in your name, your state and either the word "Chapter," "court" or "filing." Many will start to find out that this information will stay out there a long time, even past when it is off your credit reports and there is no way to remove it.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Just saw this announced on Pacer

NOTICE REGARDING USE OF RECAP SOFTWARE: The court would like to make CM/ECF filers aware certain security concerns relating to a software application or "plug-in" called RECAP, which was designed by a group from Princeton University to enable the sharing of court documents on the Internet. Once a user loads RECAP, documents that he or she subsequently accesses via PACER are automatically sent to a public Internet repository. Other RECAP/PACER users are then able to see whether documents are available from the Internet repository. RECAP captures District and Bankruptcy Court documents, but has not yet incorporated Appellate Court functionality. At this time, RECAP does not appear to provide users with access to restricted or sealed documents. Please be aware that RECAP is "open-source" software, which can be freely obtained by anyone with Internet access and modified for benign or malicious purposes, such as faciliatating unauthorized access to restricted or sealed documents. Accordingly, CM/ECF filers are reminded to be diligent about their computer security practices to ensure that documents are not inadvertently shared or compromised. The court and the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts will continue to analyze the implications of RECAP or related-software and advise you of any ongoing or further concerns.

Comment

i was very worried about this, but so far, so good - nothing about my bk comes up on google. if you want to be sure, you might look up someone who filed in your district by looking up in pacer a case number several months before yours, then google that person's name and see what comes up. this will give you a glimpse into your own future...
                          filed ch7 May 09
                          341 june 09
                          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I really don't know how to interpret this. It says 'automatically' captures...doesn't bode well for privacy concerns...

Originally posted by blockhead View Post
                            NOTICE REGARDING USE OF RECAP SOFTWARE: The court would like to make CM/ECF filers aware certain security concerns relating to a software application or "plug-in" called RECAP, which was designed by a group from Princeton University to enable the sharing of court documents on the Internet. Once a user loads RECAP, documents that he or she subsequently accesses via PACER are automatically sent to a public Internet repository. Other RECAP/PACER users are then able to see whether documents are available from the Internet repository. RECAP captures District and Bankruptcy Court documents, but has not yet incorporated Appellate Court functionality. At this time, RECAP does not appear to provide users with access to restricted or sealed documents. Please be aware that RECAP is "open-source" software, which can be freely obtained by anyone with Internet access and modified for benign or malicious purposes, such as faciliatating unauthorized access to restricted or sealed documents. Accordingly, CM/ECF filers are reminded to be diligent about their computer security practices to ensure that documents are not inadvertently shared or compromised. The court and the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts will continue to analyze the implications of RECAP or related-software and advise you of any ongoing or further concerns.

Comment

I almost used RECAP to look myself out, then discovered that all the docs went to google. DON'T DO IT! And, don't start looking up people you don't know if you don't want them to land on google.

I filed nine years ago (dark ages by internet standards). My BK has never come up on google. I have done a few searches of my name in "free background check" software, and the BK does come up.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X