WTH? Is This True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTH? Is This True?

In looking up info about finding employment after filing, I came across an article that said a law was passed in 2001 that prevents you from being self-employed during bankruptcy (after filing but before discharge). WTH? I took a short contract (e.g., no withholding because I will pay my own taxes on the income) job that I lucked into only because I knew someone at the company. It lasted about a month. Did I just sabotage my BK? What do I do now? Tell the attorney? Haven't yet had my 341 (it was 'continued for examination').

I found this on christiannet.com

In 2001, the Insolvency Amendment Act prohibited bankrupt individuals from being hired by a relative who manages or controls a business or enterprise. In addition, anyone whose case has not been discharged is also prohibited from owning or managing a business. If self-employment during proceedings and working for an entrepreneurial aunt or uncle are prohibited, the chances of finding gainful employment (etc.)

Is that for Chapter 7 only? My wife has her own business and we filed a 13 with no issues.
    Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

I have never ever heard of any such thing. Are you sure it's a United States law, and that it does not pertain to securities or other fiduciary related items. Personally, I'd stop reading stuff found on the internet that doesn't quote an exact law and reference the Title and Chapter.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

So far I have only found reference to that Act in the source you cited http://www.christianet.com/bankruptc...bankruptcy.htm

One would think that Christiannet would cite their source completely and preferably link to the source because the way it reads now is a conclusion rather than a statement of fact.

As always, consider the source. I have found no corroboration of this conclusion so far.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Ha! JustBroke said it better than I
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Ah (slaps forehead), the Christianet site describes itself as a 'worldwide christian marketplace' so info doesn't pertain only to U.S. I can't find anything else about that Act either (other than reference to laws in other countries). Whew. Had me going there for a minute. Thanks all!!

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            I have never ever heard of any such thing. Are you sure it's a United States law, and that it does not pertain to securities or other fiduciary related items. Personally, I'd stop reading stuff found on the internet that doesn't quote an exact law and reference the Title and Chapter.

Comment

What ever it is, that law DOES NOT exist in the U.S.

Comment

Those of us who are in these circumstances are fragile. When I read that I thought: "I've come all this way...and now this...". It sounded so -- well -- authoritative. NOT (at least in this country).

WHEW, says it all. Not to mention Woo-hoo! Tx again!

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                What ever it is, that law DOES NOT exist in the U.S.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X