Can an illegal immigrant without a social security number file for BK

Can an illegal immigrant with no valid social security file for Chapter 7

i dont see how it would be possible.
    stopped paying 5/16/2010
    filed 8/2/2010
    341 8/31/2010
    Report of no Distribution 9/1/2010 expected discharge 10/31/2010

Comment

If you don't have an SSN; what debt would you be eliminating...what debt do you even have?

However, I concur, I don't think an illegal immigrant with no SSN could file.

Comment

Now, lemme guess.. somebody had stolen or had bought somebody's SSN ,,, from before.. the grave ??? j/k

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          If you don't have an SSN; what debt would you be eliminating...what debt do you even have?

However, I concur, I don't think an illegal immigrant with no SSN could file.
          You know what, I take that back. If you look at section 109 of the code (Who May Be A Debtor (part a),
          "only a person that resides or has domicile, a place of business, or property in the U.S., or a municipality, may be a debtor under this title."

By a strict reading, I see no apparent prohibition against an illegal immigrant filing BK in the U.S. Granted, there may be other practical problems; not having an SSN would be a problem, etc. But, nothing in the code expressly prohibits and illegal immigrant from filing BK.

Comment

providing a positive ID would be nearly impossible.

so how could the court say this is the person filing?
            stopped paying 5/16/2010
            filed 8/2/2010
            341 8/31/2010

Comment

I looked at the code and I agree with you. However I am worried of the legal ramifications of attending a 341 meeting with no valid social security. The debt was incurred using a fake social security number.

Comment

if it was known to be fake i would say fraud would be the likely outcome.

why dont they just steal another identity and walla just like new!

on top of that how could they even prove the debt belongs to that person if they cannot positively ID them as the debtor?
                stopped paying 5/16/2010
                filed 8/2/2010
                341 8/31/2010

Comment

Originally posted by RNN View Post
                  I looked at the code and I agree with you. However I am worried of the legal ramifications of attending a 341 meeting with no valid social security. The debt was incurred using a fake social security number.
                  I'd be more worried about being arrested for fraud, identity theft, etc than discharging this debt in bankruptcy. Besides, debts obtained fraudulently are non-dischargable in bankruptcy.
                  Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                  I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

No creditors will show up at the 341 meeting. But members from the department of homeland might.
                    This Forum is better than any lawyer I met.

Comment

There are 2 reasons why illegal wants to keep this valuable SSN:

1. Fool immigration agency to get past interview for permanent Green Card and Citizenship.

2. Not to be processed for fraud, criminal charges, and get in jail.. BUT MOST of all -->> AVOID deportation back to their countries later.

So, when you MUST choose between CARRYING someone's debt versus GETTING a valid green card.. they will choose Green Card.. heck.. I don't blame them... I'll get my Green Card too!! LOL

Comment

The big question I would have is how the illegal immigrant could take their social security card to the 341 meeting if they don't have a social security number. From what my attorney told me, you have to have a social security card as well as some sort of picture id (driver's liscence, passport, etc) at that meeting.

I could possibly see using fake documents, but why would an illegal immigrant want to risk bringing attention to themselves by taking fake documents to court? Sounds awfully risky to me for someone in their shoes.
                        Filed: 6/30/2010
                        341: 7/26/2010
                        Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by RNN View Post
                          Can an illegal immigrant with no valid social security file for Chapter 7
                          i hope not
                          Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                          Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                          Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

At the 341 meeting you have to show 2 forms of ID. There is no way an illegal immigrant can pass this test. The trustee would need to see you SS card or birth certificate. If you did not have either of those you would need some other legal document that you can reside in the US.

If a fake SS card is being used doesn't the trustee run these numbers through a data base? I would think that if any debt was obtained with a fake ss card then there could be a lot of recourse coming that person's way.
                            Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                            341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                            Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Well, strictly speaking, you do not need an SSN to file BK.

But the issue with the Fake SSN is a big problem.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X