top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an authorized user responsible for my cc debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an authorized user responsible for my cc debt?

If my husband is listed as an authorized user on two of my credit cards on his credit report. He is not filing chapter 7 with me. Can the creditors come after him for the cc debt that will be discharged on my name? He did use my credit cards but only because I put him on as authorized user and not a co signer.
    I was surprised to learn the creditors report payment history even on the authorized users credit report.

If it's American Express and he made charges with his card, then it is his debt and American Express will pounce. For other cards, I don't think they can attribute purchases to a specific individual, like American Express can.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I was an authorized user on my wife's 2 credit cards (Sears & Bank of America). When I pulled my credit report I noticed that Bank of America was reporting me past due because of her card. My wife simply called both creditors and told them to take me off the cards as an authorized user. Just to be sure I also filed a dispute with Equifax. I have verified that this information has been removed from my credit report. Easy enough problem to fix. By the way we haven't paid them since April and just asked for me to be removed about 2 weeks ago so you don't need to worry if you're late already.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X