Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a fair price bk lawyer

hi
    i live in Boston and i was wandering, i spoke to an attorney today in Boston and he quoted me a price of $1500.00 is that a fair price for a chapter 7 bk lawyer. plus the $200.00 or so filing fee.

Originally posted by starman59 View Post
    hi
    i live in Boston and i was wandering, i spoke to an attorney today in Boston and he quoted me a price of $1500.00 is that a fair price for a chapter 7 bk lawyer. plus the $200.00 or so filing fee.
    Totally not out of the ordinary. Most attorneys around my area charge anywhere from $999 to $2000, plus filing fees.

Attorneys fees are monitored by the Court, so they're pretty much all going to be around the same.
    Bazinga!

Comment

We are in Florida, and, as bad as our attorney was, the $1500 is not out of line. We paid a $500 retainer, then later the rest of the fee--$1500, for a total of $2000.00. Just make sure you look at your contract very closely, and make sure that the attorney's office will answer your questions.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I used Legal Helpers. They charged me $1100 plus the $299 filing fee. I was very satisfied with their work.

Comment

Hi starman59,

The wisdom of the forum is to shop around for attorneys. Some people go through a half dozen or so before they fit a 'good fit' ...someone you feel comfortable with and who seems confident and competent. The most common complaint on the forum is a lack of communication; not available, paralegal answers question, won't reply to emails, etc.

....remember the old saying...you have to kiss a lot of frogs...

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

We just paid $1500 for our attorney for a Ch 7. His Ch 13 fee is $3000.
            Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

My chapter 7 total retainer fee is $2,000 plus the $299.00 filing fee so $1,500 sounds reasonable.
              Filed chapter 7 on 12-8-10
              341 meeting 1-7-11.
              DISCHARGED! 3-15-11

Comment

thanks

hi all
                thank you ,i have an appointment this Monday with the attorney, he said he needs 200.00 as a retainer and the rest before filing.and gave me list of papers i need to bring in. i am looking forward to get things started,now i feel a little better that his price is reasonable, its been about 4 months since i have paid my cc bills. and i think it a good time to things started.
                oh well their goes Christmas
                thank you
                i will keep you updated after the consultation

Comment

hi
                  i think for boston the price is reasonable...shoot...my brother paid 2.7 million for his divorce from a boston atty. so 1500 for a bk sounds right...that's about what we paid in florida....for a GREAT atty.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

In VA, we paid $1700 for a Ch7 - including the filing fee.
                    Stopped paying CCs 1/10 | Stopped paying mortgages 2/10 | Interviewed attorneys 3/10-5/10 | Retained attorney 5/14/10 | Delivered paperwork to attorney 6/17/10 | Filed Ch7 7/9/10 | 341 8/16/10 | Objection Deadline 10/15/10 | DISCHARGED 10/20/10

Comment

I am also in the Boston area and paid $2500 plus filing fee so $1500 seems reasonable for this area.
                      Retained Attorney June 25, 2010, Filed Chapter 7 Nov 3, 2010 (170k unsecured), 341 Dec 2, 2010 (1 minute of nothingness), Discharged Feb 1, 2011

Comment

I paid $1300 for the attorney plus $300 filing fee ($1,600 total) in Los Angeles, actually the attorney is in Tarzana, a very expensive area. I will tell everyone on this board, interview a couple attorneys first and bring a list of questions and see how they answer them. We interviewed 3 attorneys and the one I chose really knew his stuff. He even fills out all the paper work for you which is a huge help.

I would never do this without an attorney, my attorney has helped me avoid mistakes and make this whole process a thousand percent easier.

If your attorney is good, this is a good price.

hi

Comment

seems good, especially if you like and trust him
                          Ch 7 filed 11/09 discharged 6/10

Comment

i paid $2700 including filing fee and it was money well spent
                            Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                            Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                            Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

I'm in Florida, and mine is $299 filing and $895 attorney fee for a total of $1194. I looked around, and then a co-worker told me of the attorney he used about nine months ago, so I did my researh, he appeared to be okay, so this past Wednesday I went in, and it was great. It was extremely laid back, not at all what I thought it would be (no wood book shelves with stacks of legal books, not wearing a suit with tie, etc.), just normal people working there. I WAS put off at first, but the minute I sat down everything went fine. Every last question I had was answered, and the packet and paperwork they gave me was gone over in detail. I gave them $600 on the spot, and I'll be paying off the rest next week. I was told to immediately stop making my CC payments and to give them his name and number when the calls begin.

In terms of questions I have called twice and gotten an immediate answer and I have e-mailed them about five or six times and had a response in minutes. As for the e-mails, I have no clue if it's him or an assistant or what not, but I do get responses ASAP, and I like that.

My co-worker advised he had no issues at all, and when I spoke with him, he said it should be one of the most straight forward cases there can be for me (below the median income, no house, no assets, just a car payment, and I am going bankrupt on strictly credit card debt, nothing else). Said he can "all but promise" the trustee meeting will last no longer than four to five minutes, and he will be there with me when the time comes. While they cannot 100% guarantee a "favoriable outcome" (which I understand), he did strongly imply that no issues would come up as long as everything I told them I was truthful about (which I was!). Of course, reading this forum begins to worry me at times, but when it has, that is when I would e-mail him and get a response that, typically, agreed with what was said here.

Sadly, they cannot file until the end of January (damn my CC usage!), but he said do not answer any questions from any callers save for telling them I am going the bankruptcy route and giving them his information.

Good luck to you! Good luck to us all!
                              Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X