Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Trustee Presumption of Abuse

Hello,
    We have filed a chapter 7. We received a 707B presumption of abuse statement from the UST. I just checked pacer and the UST has submitted a motion to dismiss our 7 based on abuse. We provided extra documentation relating to higher than allowed utilities, our kids sports etc. We are still short every month by $300. We have no disposable income, yet the UST figured us to have $1700 every month. I believe we have a good lawyer. What happens now? Has anyone else experienced this with a positive outcome???

Thanks.

Originally posted by cjsgac View Post
    Hello,
    We have filed a chapter 7. We received a 707B presumption of abuse statement from the UST. I just checked pacer and the UST has submitted a motion to dismiss our 7 based on abuse. We provided extra documentation relating to higher than allowed utilities, our kids sports etc. We are still short every month by $300. We have no disposable income, yet the UST figured us to have $1700 every month. I believe we have a good lawyer. What happens now? Has anyone else experienced this with a positive outcome???

Thanks.
    talk to your attorney and fight back
    did u receive the 707B before or after your 341?
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

If you list your expenses here we can probably figure out what the US trustee saw as a red flag.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

B2S, isn't the means and schedules run through the same software automatically claim "Presumption of Abuse"? I think it does when it crosses a certain line. Does not mean it is reality, but then causes a bit of proof. I've seen this here before, and usually it is a software computation and not the real numbers. Most prove otherwise.

Please anyone chime in and clarify this? 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          B2S, isn't the means and schedules run through the same software automatically claim "Presumption of Abuse"? I think it does when it crosses a certain line. Does not mean it is reality, but then causes a bit of proof. I've seen this here before, and usually it is a software computation and not the real numbers. Most prove otherwise.

Please anyone chime in and clarify this? 'Hub
          Yes I agree 'Hub. The OP will have to file an amended expense schedule with tweaked numbers to defend the petition. I was wanting the OP to post the expenses here so we can see what the possible red flags are.

Comment

Hi cjsgac, ...fellow Coloradoan here!

Lots of folks around here have survived a UST presumption/dismiss....it can be done. But.....

We are still short every month by $300. We have no disposable income, yet the UST figured us to have $1700 every month

This is a bit extreme, you and trustee have numbers $2,000 apart. Something is seriously wrong somewhere, not just over-average utilities.

Like backtoschool suggested, if you post your exepense numbers folks who have survived UST presumptions can pick out red-flag items. Posting what the extra documentation was for will also help.

How about the front end; are you and the UST coming up with the same monthly gross income?

Your lawyer should be all over this, stay on them. Finding out what the UST is objecting to is crucial.

Good luck with this, hope it works out for you!

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Thanks for all your replies!
              Makes me feel better.

Here is the US Trustee's Analysis of our Schedule I and J

Debtor(s) Sch
              I & J
              UST
              §707b3
              Analysis Notes
              Gross Income:
              Combined Gross Wages $ 9,935 $ 11,204
              Subtotal US $ 9,935 TRUSTEE $ 11,204 Note 1
              Payroll Taxes US $ 1,881 TRUSTEE $ 2,297 Note 2
              Average monthly income US $ 8,054 TRUSTEE $ 8,907

Current Expenditures
              Personal Living Expenses
              $ 1,633
              Food $ 900
              Clothing $ 200
              Laundry/dry cleaning $ 80
              Recreation $ 100
              Kids Activities $ 170
              Misc. unexpected $ 200
              Grooming, Pet Food & Care $ 150
              US $ 1,800 TRUSTEE $ 1,633 Note 3
              Utilities
              Local Standard TRUSTEE$ 468
              Electric and heat US $ 179
              Water/sewer US $ 50
              Telephone and Cell phones US $ 290
              Trash US $ 30
              HOA Dues US $ 40
              Home maintenance US $ 100
              US $ 689 TRUSTEE $ 468 Note 4
              National STD
              Housing:
              Future Secured debt payments
              Standard Housing allowance less secured debt
              Standard Housing allowance $ 1,998
              Rent or Mortgage payments $ 2,468 $ 470
              Insurance
              Taxes
              US $ 2,468 TRUSTEE $ 2,468 Note 5
              Vehicle Operating Costs
              Vehicle Operating STD $ 472
              Transportation $ 500 $ 179
              Auto Insurance $ 151
              US $ 651 TRUSTEE $ 651 Note 6
              Vehicle Ownership Costs
              60 month avg Secured debt payment
              Standard allowance less debt payments
              Standard allowance $ 992
              Monthly payment $ 935
              US $ 935 TRUSTEE $ 992 Note 7
              Health Care expenses
              Nat'l Std $ 300
              FSA $ 63
              Medical/dental expenses $ 300
              Insurance $ 483 $ 457
              US $ 846 TRUSTEE $ 757 Note 8
              Other Expenses
              Life Insurance US $ 80 TRUSTEE $ 137 Note 9
              401K and 401K Loan $ 353 $ - Note 10
              "PC Loan" and "Loan" pay check deductions $ 60 Note 11
              Cable/Internet US $ 150 TRUSTEE $ 100 Note 12

Average monthly expenses US $ 8,032 TRUSTEE$ 7,207

Monthly net income US $ 22 TRUSTEE $ 1,700

Total Plan Payments $ 101,992
              Ch 13 Trustee Fees $ 6,323
              Priority Claims $ - Schedule E
              Additional Attorney Fees $ 1,500
              Available for Unsecured Creditors $ 94,168
              Unsecured Debt $ 131,408 Schedule F
              Dividend to Unsecured Creditors 71.66%

Bottom line is that our income is about $2000 off....when we filed our attorney mentioned a software glitch that was discovered after. I wonder if that has something to do with it??? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
              Last edited by cjsgac; 10-20-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I would like to see what all the notes are. There are notes referenced in a lot of places. Do those notes explain the discrepancies? Is your income amount accurate, or is the trustee's income amount accurate? If the income numbers he has are wrong, it seems like this would be an easy fix...
                --------------------------------------------
                As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

It looks like the US trustee has problems with the following areas:

1. Your utilities and food, etc. My guess is that the cell phone bill is being questioned. That is very high for a cell phone bill, when extra lines should only be costing you $10 a month and you can share minutes. Food expense is very high at $900. How big is your family? The $200 misc expenses would also be questioned.

2. Home Maintenance. You are over the US standard here and you are going to need receipts to back your expenses up. Again this can be fought and won.

3. 401k payment/loan payment this is not allowed in many districts and your US trustee has flagged it. Your pc loan is not being allowed either.

These things flagged are enough to kick you into a chapter 13. (you only need between $150 a month and $180 a month disposable income to be kicked into a chap 13).

What to do: Gather all your receipts. Have a business reason for why you need the cell phone plan that you do. Come up with more medical, insurance, dues and fees, and other legitimate expenses to replace the ones you are going to have to remove from your petition.

This can be fought, but from the looks of this, it really does look like you have a couple of hundred dollars a month in disposable income to fund a chap 13. You are going to really have to dig into your receipts and expenses and come up with some more legitimate expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post

3. 401k payment/loan payment this is not allowed in many districts and your US trustee has flagged it. Your pc loan is not being allowed either.
                    This gets me kind of mad. Your attorney should have known better.
                    This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Hi again cjsgac,

Income: +853 difference This should come directly from your most recent paystub, should be easy to figure who's right, who's wrong

Personal living expenses: -167 Seen folks w/trouble on the pet care, some roll it into something else; seen kids act. over 125 picked on,

Utilities: -221 everything looks in range except the phone bill, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that is where the difference is

Housing, vehicles: +57 no problems here

Medical: -89 some receipts could clear up, maybe even put you ahead

Cable/internet: -50 could show bill and say internet is justified for kids education

Life insurance: +57 in your favor, no problems here

"PC loan" "loan" paycheck deduction: not sure what this is

401K: -353 This is a biggee....and contradicting caselaw on the subject, but more recent cases are in your favor. This might help:

...in a Chapter 13 case as the contributions and loan repayments Debtor makes to her 401K would not be considered as disposable income with which to fund a Chapter 13 plan. In re Garrett Ch. 13 Case No. 07-3997 (M.D. Fla. January 18, 2008). In Garrett, this Court held that based upon the addition of §§ 541(b)(7) and 1322(f) to the Bankruptcy Code, retirement account contributions and repayment of a loan secured by a retirement account do not constitute disposable income in a Chapter 13 from http://pacer.flmb.uscourts.gov/pdf-new/45051718.pdf

Hope some of this helps, just my 2 cents..probably what its worth...

Tom in Colo
                      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Each of my 3 kids have savings accounts started for them when they were born, birthday and christmas monies, plus monies they earned has gone into these accounts. No child has more then $400 in their account. Do you feel that these accounts can be taken from my kids as their are held in trust by me with their names on the accounts (since they are minors)????

Our cell is $165 ( we had to downgrade like crazy to get it to that amount) do you think this amount will raise a flag???

My stomach is nervous like the dickens now and just when I thought I could relax...thanks Tom for any help you can provide

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
                        Hi again cjsgac,

Income: +853 difference This should come directly from your most recent paystub, should be easy to figure who's right, who's wrong

Personal living expenses: -167 Seen folks w/trouble on the pet care, some roll it into something else; seen kids act. over 125 picked on,

Utilities: -221 everything looks in range except the phone bill, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that is where the difference is

Housing, vehicles: +57 no problems here

Medical: -89 some receipts could clear up, maybe even put you ahead

Cable/internet: -50 could show bill and say internet is justified for kids education

Life insurance: +57 in your favor, no problems here

"PC loan" "loan" paycheck deduction: not sure what this is

401K: -353 This is a biggee....and contradicting caselaw on the subject, but more recent cases are in your favor. This might help:

...in a Chapter 13 case as the contributions and loan repayments Debtor makes to her 401K would not be considered as disposable income with which to fund a Chapter 13 plan. In re Garrett Ch. 13 Case No. 07-3997 (M.D. Fla. January 18, 2008). In Garrett, this Court held that based upon the addition of §§ 541(b)(7) and 1322(f) to the Bankruptcy Code, retirement account contributions and repayment of a loan secured by a retirement account do not constitute disposable income in a Chapter 13 from http://pacer.flmb.uscourts.gov/pdf-new/45051718.pdf

Hope some of this helps, just my 2 cents..probably what its worth...

Tom in Colo
                        Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

maybe i missed something here...but OP is or has filed a chapter 7. the atty should have had this situation down to the penny. personally, i think some of the expenses are low...i.e. utilities....221???? wow...i live down south and we pay (and ours is the absolute LOWEST of all our neighbors) just in electric over $300...water, sewer, garbage here runs well over $400 (we were shocked but that is what it is down in cheap where one is suppose to retire florida).

so i suppose it's all relative, but OP's figures seem more than fair for where they live.

tom has the lived the colo. bk...however, i agree with many of the PP...there is some mistake. or this trustee is attempting to pull the OP into a 13 due to the DMI. and the example of what tom refers to is associated with a 13.

i agree something must be caught between the nets....the starting point is a darn good explanation from your atty's office as to what and why this happened.
                          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                            Each of my 3 kids have savings accounts started for them when they were born, birthday and christmas monies, plus monies they earned has gone into these accounts. No child has more then $400 in their account. Do you feel that these accounts can be taken from my kids as their are held in trust by me with their names on the accounts (since they are minors)????

Our cell is $165 ( we had to downgrade like crazy to get it to that amount) do you think this amount will raise a flag???

My stomach is nervous like the dickens now and just when I thought I could relax...thanks Tom for any help you can provide
                            If you started the savings over a year ago, they will not be touched by the trustee. It is 529 accounts that get started right before filing that the trustee takes over as assets.

$165 a month for cell phone should be fine as long as there are 3-4 phones on the plan. If that is only for 2 phones, that would be considered high.

Comment

I'm confused - is this a 7 or 13?
                              "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X