Exempt Life Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exempt Life Insurance?

Anyone know if you can or should try to exempt a term life insurance policy in a Chapter 7 filing (Schedule C)?

On the one hand, it is a term policy so there is no cash value. With no cash or surrender value it would seem pointless to claim an exemption. However, I certainly wouldn't want a creditor to claim part of the death benefit if I should die.

I would want the full policy to go to my son to pay his student loans.

Absolutely exempt the life insurance, if you or spouse die during bankruptcy or even within 180 days of discharge then the proceeds would be non-exempt and become an asset of the estate.

Good luck and don't die
    Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by BKParalegal View Post
      Absolutely exempt the life insurance, if you or spouse die during bankruptcy or even within 180 days of discharge then the proceeds would be non-exempt and become an asset of the estate.

Good luck and don't die
      ROFL!!!!!!! now...that's what i call having a way with words....

but the OP...indeed...exempt the life insurance.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

522(d)(7) - Unmatured life insurance policy except credit insurance.

522(d)(8) - Life insurance policy with loan value up to $10,775.

522(d)(10)( C ) - Disability, unemployment or illness benefits

522(d)(11)( C ) - Life insurance payments for a person you depended on, which you need for support

Here is a list of current dollar amounts for the federal bankruptcy exemptions, and which states allow you to use them.

EDIT: (C) a payment under a life insurance contract that insured the life of an individual of whom the debtor was a dependent on the date of such individual's death, to the extent reasonably necessary for the support of the debtor and any dependent of the debtor;
        Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 03-05-2011, 07:13 AM. Reason: add on
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My UST asked about the term policies for my two girls 10K per child - asked if they were term or whole life - I replied they were term policies from my employer. She said ok - moved on to her next question. My guess is her way of trying to turn a no asset case into an asset case.
          Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X